Pat Mahomes

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Jan 4, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Here is a kid who is going to be underdrafted because nobody coming from an Air Raid system has ever been successful in the NFL.

I personally feel that if he had gone to Alabama or Florida State he would be the #1 pick in the draft.

legler82 and boozer32 like this.
  2. ImNotTimid

ImNotTimid Member

I think he has the most upside of this class, gunslinger like derek Carr.

3. JethroTull

He reminds me of Big Ben

4. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

This I can agree with. I see a lot of Big Ben in him.

5. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

Mahomes is probably the biggest boom or bust QB prospect in this draft. He needs to go to a team that has a veteran QB for him to learn from.

6. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

So you are saying then, all signs point to the jets drafting this potential bust/beast

7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Holy fucking shit. I hadn't really paid any attention to this guy but I'm bored so I looked him up.

I just turned on his game vs Baylor and he's made 3 absurd throws in the first 2:00 of the video. They were just stupid, absolutely Rodgers-esque.

Given that I haven't seen much hype around him, I'm assuming that I've just watched one of his best stretches of tape, but the first impression is captivating. About to watch everything they've got on him on DraftBreakdown.

BleedingGreen55 likes this.
  8. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

FWIW, his dad was a decent pitcher for the Mets. Thanks for the tip, will look at draft breakdown tape!

9. Big Cat

His arm talent is probably close to Carr's level, which is unreal. It's not often you see 2 guys like this in such close proximity.

The problem is that there look to be significantly more concern areas than there were with Carr, who was pretty polished.

- He's really nonchalant about the ball in the pocket. He drops it down to his waist and just leaves it there while he scrambles around. I can see lots of strip sacks in his NFL future if he doesn't get rid of that.

- He doesn't get off his first read as often as Carr did and it seems like he sometimes panics when forced to.

- Carr had an unbelievably quick, compact released; Mahomes' is a bit elongated.

But his arm talent is absurd, he has decent pocket awareness and he's a gamebreaker. When he gets outside of the pocket he's looking to go downfield and just tears you up. I like him 10x better than the guy we just took in the 2nd round.

If you want incentive to watch him play, look at the throw at 12:20 in this video. Just stupid, and these are ALL OVER his tape.

RochesterJet and ImNotTimid like this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep

Draft a QB every year till a Savior comes

Thanks for the game reel Cat

Dad on Mets? Name sounds familiar

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's got a great arm, but ... Air Raid offense makes me scared in terms of NFL prospects and he's kind of careless with the football in his hands. That kid can freaking sling it though damn

12. Big Cat

Holds the ball like a loaf of bread, reminds me of Manziel in that regard. If someone seasons him he could be deadly, but will Mac redshirt a 3rd straight QB? Tough to sell that much patience.

tbruner12 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Links?

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Very tough. If they love the kid then they have to take him, but at what cost? That kid has one heck of an arm though, very Brett Favre like.

boozer32 and Big Cat like this.
  15. Big Cat

0:30
    1:30
    2:00
    3:45
    8:35
    10:35

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Thanks!

17. NCJetsfan

Before watching any of the videos, I thought Texas Tech...he's going to be another system QB with a rag arm. Boy, was I wrong. After watching the Oklahoma and Baylor videos, my initial thoughts are that he seems to have very good pocket presence. He feels the pressure and steps up in the pocket, moves outside, and still keeps his eyes downfield. He has great mobility and throws well on the run. In these two videos he seems to be very accurate with his long and intermediate passes, but isn't quite as accurate with shorter passes, but that may be due to the unorthodox way in which he often gets the ball to the receivers on the shorter route. He gets the ball out quickly, and looks to have pretty good arm strength. I don't recall if he was going through his progressions. On some plays I think he locked onto his intended receiver, but I'll have to re-watch.

There was one thing that bothered me. He throws off his back foot or flat footed on every single throw, and is throwing almost exclusively with his arm. That won't cut it in the NFL, either due to the speed of the DBs or the winds in the NE. He'd wind up with a lot of interceptions and incompletions, and if he doesn't learn to use his hips and legs more, he's liable to wind up with shoulder/arm trouble. If he can fix his footwork and learn to step into his throws, then he'd be worth taking in the 3rd or 4th round (depending upon where he is slated).

Big Cat likes this.
  18. Big Cat

I'm probably gonna harass this forum about this guy for the next 4 months.

Passing on Mahomes because we have Hackenberg is gonna be the new version of passing on Carr for Geno.

legler82 and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. Big Cat

It'll be interesting to see if that turns into a problem for him. In general, it's absolutely a problem for most QBs. But some guys like Russell Wilson and Matt Stafford have such strong arms and instincts that they can just overpower their bad mechanics. Is he that type?

After watching a lot of him, I think Matt Stafford is the best comparison I can come up with.

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. JethroTull

Nope they only draf
    I'm sorry, but comparing Geno Smith to Hackenberg is unfair. Geno actually started 16 games as a rookie and actually looked promising in a few instances. By all accounts Hackenberg is the worst QB ever to put on an NFL uniform.

It just goes to show that the people running this franchise have no idea what a QB prospect looks like.