Wilkerson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LongIslandBlitz, Oct 9, 2016.

1. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Trade Richardson, he doesn't fit on the team.

2. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

I actually like what the guy brings to the table on the field, but he's a bonehead off the field. Bonehead enough that it can affect him being on the field. If we can get something we actually need I would be all for it because he's going to want money and we've already paid Wilkerson. The two are similar players and simply aren't a force together.

3. mitsudriver

mitsudriver Member

Wilkerson's contract is just another in a long list of terrible deals by the front office. His contract is gonna handicap the Jets for at least a couple of years. His cap hits are $18, $20, $18.5 million over the next 3 years. Good teams don't overpay at any one position save maybe QB (and most not even there). Can't wait for the Jets to sign a long snapper with a $10 million per year cap hit.

TNJet and RonPi like this.
  4. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

A broken leg hardly falls under the "major injury" category. He's underperformed immensely thus far. Period.

The bigger issue is the busted coverages we see 2-3 times a week. This defense looks pathetic and needs to be fixed. Rogers will probably go and Bowles needs to be calling the plays. Gilcrest looks horrific out there too

5. greaser

greaser Well-Known Member

Do you guys actually watch the game? I mean pay attention to what is happening?

You should've noticed by now that Mo on almost every play has TWO blockers on him.
    The reason for this?
    The other team doesn't have to worry about trying to block an edge rusher and instead bring the extra blocker to Mo.
    It's been effective at easing him and also effective at demoralizing him.
    How hard would you try knowing it's two on one every play?

Red Menace likes this.
  6. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

7. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Greaser according to Cimini, Mo was left 1 on 1 on 28 of his 44 snaps

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This. We run basically a 3-4 defense (3 BIG guys on the line, 4 FAST LBers that can rush the passer from anywhere). We're not missing the 3 big dudes, we're missing the 4 fast dudes.

RonPi likes this.
  9. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Right. Who are the Jet's LB's anyway? I know David Harris, Mauldin because everybody complains about him, but
    what other names do you know?

Ron

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I think we are running way more 4-3 these days so we can get Williams on the field more.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Never thought I would click a Cimini link again ...

They need to kick Mo inside on some passing downs, put Mauldin at edge on the 4 man fronts, but Mauldin is also losing PT. At least move Mo around, it's a disservice just keeping him at the edge position. Mo does need to do a better job as well.

Problem solved if we draft Myles Garrett!

Jets69 likes this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Now we're picking on Wilk?

13. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Oh cut the bull shit. He was one on one for half of the snaps.

14. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

The defensive line can only do so much when the secondary is as porous as they are. I've seen plenty of good Wilkerson plays negated due to the QB getting rid of the ball fast or the LB missing the tackle on the QB. It's like 2012 all over again. I think Wilkerson is one of the lowest on the totem poll that people should be blaming right now. It's easy to just look at stats, but the bigger issue is the susceptibility to the big play.

The defense as a whole is on the same exact pace as last year for sacks. 2.4 per game. The problem is the secondary.

#34 Sam Hammer, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    MoWilkBeast likes this.
  15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

wilk played better in 3-4 defense. not the hybrid 4-3 they run now. It amazes me though that toilet bowl is making the same mistake rex made with coples by playing a DL (sheldon) at OLB. These guys have played their whole life on the line--if there no place for them there trade them or trade someone else to make room for them--better yet consider the other side of the ball the next few drafts--our OL is a bunch of scrubs (winters, dozier), undrafted free agents(quale) and guys cut from other teams (ben I.).

16. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Nah Revis actually played like he gave a crap after every contract he signed, it was during camp while jockeying for a new contract when he'd get his migrane headaches and miss days. Mo even before signing the deal was a bit suspect...remember that video of the Bills offensive lineman chiding him for giving half-effort a while back?

17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Here's a few things I notice.

To accommodate big cat in there, Wilkerson has moved outside primarily...he's good but he's not exactly an edge rusher. He's more of an interior threat.

Your not taking advantage of what Wilkerson is best at, laterally one of the top DT's and bull rushing/ INTERIOR guys in the game. But it gets tricky because most of the time, Richardson gets moved to the outside (IMO the most effective pass rushing DE in the team per say), hence why he's in essence playing OLB. Inside you have Big Cat (again better inside) and McClendon (again another inside guy).

When you insert Mauldin, he's not a fast edge rusher nor doesn't have the moves to be super effective there.

Now there's a few ways I'd try to work around this, move Big Mo back inside. Him and Big Cat are the best at doing work inside. Richardson stays outside and should rotate inside to give the other guys a breather...same with McClendon...make him for what he came here to be, a backup and "NT". Let one of these young edge guys get some burn most importantly outside of Mauldin.

MoWilkBeast and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  18. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Well, the thing is, we simply can't cover. You can't get to the QB in 2 seconds without excessive blitzing. Is not like these QBs are sitting back there for a year and picking us apart. They're hitting their first reads right away or dumping the ball off short. Even the long pashe's aren't long developing plays. They're literally fly route bombs that guys are running under.

The soft zones are killing us especially. I don't like the Bowles scheme at all. There is way too much off coverage. It's a bend, don't break defense that is breaking bad. That's not the kind of defense we should be playing with our talent. We should be challenging receivers at the line and letting the d-line work. And for fucks christ, I'm gonna murder someone if Sheldon keeps dropping into fucking coverage and nobody picks up the fucking backs out of the backfield

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We may be running more 4-3, but we don't have the lineman built for a 4-3, especially we don't have any 4-3 defensive ends (think Mark Gastinuae) that can beat a LT and crush the QB in under 2 seconds 15 to 20+ times a season. Coples was supposed to be that guy but I guess he couldn't cut it.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

He plays like he gives half a crap and is over the hill with his $ to look forward too