Not going for two point conversion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ChrebetCrunch, Sep 16, 2016.

1. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

I did a quick search for this topic, but I didn't look inside threads, so forgive me if you discussed this 500 times already.

When the Jets went up 36-24, I was getting ready for the two point conversion attempt. I was scratching my head and trying to figure out why Bowles chose to kick the extra point. At this point in the game, a 12 point lead and a 13 point lead can be beaten by two TD's and two extra points. A 14 point lead almost guarantees at least a tie, assuming Rex doesn't pull a Jack Del Rio and goes for the win instead of the tie. It's trivial now, but it still concerns me that Bowles dropped the ball on this coaching decision.

Is there any reason why I'm wrong?

twown and Sec124DieHard like this.
  2. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Only thing I can think of is that with the extra point being further back it's conceivable that more PAT's could be missed at this point?

Therefore a TD by Buffalo to make it 37-37 wouldn't necessarily end the game. That's the only reasoning I can think of.

FJF and IsmokePot like this.
  3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Bad coaching mistake that could have cost us the game. Hopefully he learns from it and doesn't make the same mistake twice.

cval likes this.
  4. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

you are right, that is the ONLY potential reasoning to NOT go for two there, but it was still a HORRIBLE decision. Even Nantz / Simms were all over it as well. It didn't bite us in the a$$, but as soon as he brought Folk out there, it seriously makes me have doubts about TB"s ability to be an elite HC.

Also, using your logic...Folk would be just as likely to miss our XP, so TB cant play it both ways there... all said HORRIBLE DECISION.

Vida likes this.
  5. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I agree. I would have went for two. It's just the only reasoning I can think of. The PAT is the higher percentage play but it can be missed from time to time now. Bowles watched Folk botch one last week.

6. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

What also bothers me is that nobody on the coaching staff or offense (Fitz mainly) is in this clueless idiot's ear telling him that we should be going for 2. Watch Peyton Manning in the same situation, he wont even come off the field..he's got 2 fingers up and already signalling to the offense the play call.

NYGANGGREEN, richieC and Freddy Mondo like this.
  7. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I'm under the assumption that he knew the situation and still went for two. Because I have to believe that even if he forgot the score that somebody would have reminded him. Who knows though.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Can you overreact some more?

There are so many different situations here... obviously the goal is to get the 2 point conversion and have the highest possible chance of winning. It still guarantees nothing, because the opposition can just as easily go for 2 and win the game should they be in position to (and by the reaction here, it seems like most people thought it was a likely situation). Then you have any combo of a made 2 and missed 1 by the opposition, any combo of a missed 2 by us and made 1's of the opposition.

Basically, yes, you want the 2 but I'm sure the likelihood of winning in that situation isn't affected much by the decision to go for 1.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. twown

twown Well-Known Member

My hunch is that they never even considered going for two. They just slept it. Because if they had considered it for two seconds, it's obvious. This was an inexcusable error and would have been a HUGE deal if it had come back to haunt us. Because that's how it is with the media and fans. "Oh, it didn't cost us the game? Ok, whatever."

Thankfully we escaped that gaffe, but it cannot happen again.

Sec124DieHard, JetBlue and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

Is there a thought that if the 2 pt attempt fails and is returned for 2 we are 10 pts up instead of 13/14? Buffalo go from needing 2 tds whatever happens to needing td and fg to tie, or am I talking through my arse?

11. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You're not wrong, they should've tried for 2.
    It's first time Bowles was in this position so I'm OK with the mistake. I won't be OK if he repeats it.

12. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

The only thing I cared about is the win. And we won so to me I don't care nor did I even think about it doing the game. Now if we would have lost??

13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

It was absolutely a mistake. I'm hoping in one of the 30 Todd Bowles interviews, he explains his rationale. Overall I thought Todd coached a fine game, but that was the wrong decision.

No reason to not go for it there.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That can happen, and has happened, I think, but that shouldn't be a huge consideration imo, but it could be in a coach who tends to be more conservative like Bowles.

GreenWhiteandGold likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I think you mean "that he knew the situation and still went for ONE."

16. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Correct. That is what I meant. I'm assuming he knew the situation but figured the extra point makes it so that two touchdowns don't automatically beat him.

17. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Any way you spin it...there's no way you should not go for 2 there

I don't understand how no one on the Jets sideline was yelling go for two....Bowles has no excuse to begin with but that makes it even worse

Did any reporters ask Bowles about it?

JetBlue likes this.
  18. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I think a blocked XP taken back for 2 is more likely than a pick 6 or something for 100+ yards so this theory also doesn't make sense to me

JetBlue and GreenWhiteandGold like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I hope you're right! I would be shocked if he didn't know, but it was like it wasn't even a consideration. Maybe he has a "book" in his mind of situational football, and for whatever reason, he didn't think that was a situation to go for two. Whatever the case, I hope that next time he goes for two.

20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It was a bad decision. Bowles better learn from his own mistakes, because this was a bad one.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk