Pitmasters - What's on the menu?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Jul 3, 2013.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Lol just checked the website, they aren't keeping it up much.

_

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

3. JStokes

Yeah I saw that one too, I don't think that's it.

I saw this one, ordered 2 bottles.

http://store.tuscanyaccents.com/texas-redneck-gourmet-barbeque-sauce-original.html

May be a terrorist front and they may have stolen my identity. $13 for 2 bottles, $13 for shipping. What a scam.

_

4. abyzmul

Yep that's it. As far as the other site, I was referring to the name of the site and the names of some of those sauces...

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Texas Redneck LLC
    11915 Branding Point, Helotes 78023
    Phone: (210) 867-6017

Wouldn't any H-E-B stores carry it?

6. abyzmul

Bad marketing, I guess. There's a bazillion bbq sauce brands and only so much shelf space.

7. JStokes

@Cman60 - going to smoke some center cut pork loins tomorrow @ about 225. They're about 4 lbs a piece. How long you think? I brined them- will that make a difference?

_

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

@JStokes - just make sure your internal temps don't get above 155-160F. Use a nice hickory or apple wood and you'll be fine. I suggest pulling them off the smoker and wrapping in foil (shiny side towards meat) at around 140F. Then putting it back on the smoker until you get to 150F. Remove from smoker and let it rest either in your oven or a cooler for an hour or so.

9. abyzmul

I love pork loin finished at 145, brined or not. And don't let the pink fool you, FDA updated the pork finishing temps.

Cman68 likes this.
  10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Been a long time since this thread has seen the light of day. Figure the Fourth of July is as good a day as any to bring it back.

Smoked a Boston butt for today. Usually don't brine my butt or take off the fat cap so this time I changed up. Cut a good portion of the fat cap off, left a little fat, then brined for 15 hours in a simple apple cider, kosher salt, brown sugar brine. Rinsed, dried and then slapped on the rub and let it sit 6 hours in the fridge before throwing it in the smoker for 15 hours.

Internal temp just would not break through 180 degrees, might have been a thermometer issue, but after letting it rest for 45 minutes the blade slid right out and the meat pulled right apart. Went with Stubbs BBQ sauce with just a few drops of Mad Dog 357 Hot Sauce mixed in. 357,000 Scoville units but has a nice flavor to it, not hot just to be hot.

Been just a little while since I smoked a butt and it came out excellent, though that was never in doubt. Rounded out the menu with some Cajun Crab Cakes, some shrimp steamed with Old Bay and also started making my own black bean hummus.

Of course there was a plethora of beer, Mad Hat #9, 3 Daughters Beach Blonde Ale, Sierra Nevada Tropical Torpedo, and Cigar City Florida Cracker.

Brook!, FJF, Cman68 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Cman68

Sounds like a winner to me! I did a Brisket the weekend prior and just reheated with some corn and a healthy amount of Makers Mark 46. We had a ongoing heatwave here so I'm glad I wasn't outside smoking in the middle of it!

Brook! and The Waterboy like this.
  12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Jeez how does a brother get on the guest list?

Brook! and FJF like this.
  13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

You are too uptight for Waterboy. Not cool enough I mean. FJF on the other hand would welcome you with open arms.

14. The Waterboy

I have an open door policy, you just have to head to Florida, which most people don't want to do this time of year.

15. Cman68

Learned that lesson the hard way 3 years ago. Won't go near FL until after September.

Red Menace and The Waterboy like this.
  16. The Waterboy

I was out in the backyard today from 12 to 3 digging a ditch and taking out the multitude of buried concrete pavers. I sweated out about 10 pounds of water weight in those 3 hours.

For some reason the previous owner felt burying 45 - 8x12 pavers would help keep the water, during a heavy rain, from getting in the screen room. I guess his master degree in civil engineering didn't teach him the part about water not being able to drain into the ground if blocked by a bunch of concrete.

Then I took a shower so I could go and cut up a 40 foot widow maker that decided to fall off one of my daughters huge oaks. Only lost about 5 pounds of water weight then, which led to my third shower of the day.

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I give you a lot of credit, almost had to take my wife to ER with possible heat exhaustion.

I suggested to her not to do any gardening work last week during the 90 degree days and 90% humidity, ignored me as she always does, couple of hours later I looked outside the picture window while drinking iced tea, I saw her face down on the grass. She couldn’t move.

Brought her inside and cooled her down. She just needed to hydrate and cool down.

I thought I was going to finally be free.

Age should make us wiser, I stay indoors when it’s too hot. I love spring and fall.

I’m going to slow cook some ribs this week, I usually do a dry rub, wrap them in tin foil, 200 degrees for 5 hrs no fork needed.

Stay safe Waterboy!

18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Adana Kebap today.

[​IMG]

The Waterboy likes this.
  19. The Waterboy

Yes, it can be dangerous if you are not used to it but I usually only do 3-4 hours with plenty of breaks and I keep a gallon of water out there with me. I usually start early also before it gets too hot, the other day was an anomaly not starting until 12.

Red Menace likes this.
  20. The Waterboy

How are those made? Do you press the meat around the skewers?