Bartolo Colon's Home Run - Why am I supposed to care?

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by HackettSuxTNG, May 9, 2016.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

On a weekend that saw the NBA Playoffs, NHL Playoffs, The Kentucky Derby, and all sorts of important baseball games, the lead sports story is that Bartolo Colon hit a meaningless home-run which extended a Mets lead to 4-0.

Why is this in any way important?

2. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

because he's so fat he couldn't jump to a conclusion, he's 107 years old, and it's fun. And Im not a met fan by any means, i cant stand them.

matt robinson 17 and Dierking like this.
  3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Yeah I dont understand why the media gets on him so much...They were laughing at him when he was running to first base to get a out last week and his hat came off...BSPN were laughing it up.

Sort of discouraging to bigger people. Him hitting a home run at 42 is quite cool

4. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Another fun fact is it's his 1st HR. He is now the oldest player to hit 1st homer in majors.... pretty cool
    (heard on Mike and Mike this morning)

and to quote John Madden in Replacements, "I love to see the fat guy score"

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

In all honesty, I laugh my ass off at him fairly often. It's not anything against bigger people. Seeing a guy weigh 300+ pounds running around a major league baseball field is funny. Just as seeing a fat lineman score a TD or run with the ball is hilarious.

They make fun of him bacause the things he does are funny and often times embarrassing. Watching a 300 pound 40 year old man swing so hard that his helmet spins on his head is hilarious lol watching him hit a homerun and take 45 minutes to round the bases is hilarious.

Now, is it enough news to overpower the NBA playoffs, the NHL playoffs, Kentucky derby, etc.? No. But it is funny as shit to see

6. HackettSuxTNG

Sure, it was "cool" but front page news across all sports media? For God's sake, it was the open on the Joe and Evan show today!

7. HackettSuxTNG

I will be sure to remind Mets fans about how important this moment was should the Mets get eliminated early from the playoffs.

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Those guys on the radio are depressed Mets fans.

9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Jesus, and people say I'm a miserable fuck.

pdxdrew and JetBlue like this.
  10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

And if Mets are not eliminated early from POs, will you promise to come back and own up to a huge helping of crow?

11. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

You act like the middling rounds of the NHL or NBA playoffs is some major event.
    There are 50 to 100 playoff games in each sport every year with only a handful really being significant.
    I enjoyed the track in the past, but let's face it Horse Racing is pretty much as dead as boxing is, nobody really gives a shit about either any more.

Bartolo set a major league record that will probably never will be broken - sounds like a lead story to me.

Dierking likes this.
  12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

This coming from a Ranger fan.:rolleyes:

If someone said that type of thing in the Ranger forum I'd wanna......nevermind....

There's a lot of fun, and winning, happening in Queens. You should stay away. It's not for miserable hater types

Devin Smith is gonna make you crow...... btw

seth.golden.sc likes this.
  13. HackettSuxTNG

I don't see why I should. I didn't say WHEN the Mets are eliminated, I said "should the Mets get eliminated Early". I personally think they will do well.

14. HackettSuxTNG

Yes, I am a "hater" because I think a meaningless home run should not be the top story on every sports media page in the country.

15. Walt White

Must really suck if you actually give a flying fuck about sports media top stories. Really? Lol. You must be disappointed often.

Guess you had to be there when it happened

16. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

First of all it wasn't a meaningless home run considering it was a two-run shot and the Mets won the game by one run. It was the second inning, this wasn't some who cares 10-0 game in the seventh

Secondly it's not about what the HR meant per se it's about who hit it. A 42-year old fat pitcher who'd never hit a HR hitting one...that's freaking fun. If you can't have fun with that you need a soul transfusion.

And we're in NEW YORK, of course the Colon HR is going to be the big story of the weekend. Do tri-state area guys really care about San Antonio-Oklahoma City in the NBA? You could argue the Isles getting eliminated is a bigger local story but heck, usually it is the negative stuff that leads - why not have something positive for a change? Nothing else particularly noteworthy happened in baseball over the weekend, Mets split a series while the Yankees won two of three but are still in a hole. It's better than seeing the umpeeth day of WHERE'S WALDO...er FITZY.

I think you're exaggerating about it being a lead story 'around the country'. It's a great clip that had two hilariously over the top calls of it (Gary/Howie), that's why it's getting attention. But tomorrow people'll be back to taking vigil over Steph Curry's knee and being on Lebron watch.

KingRoach likes this.
  17. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Did you read what I said.... Let me repeat

If Mets are not eliminated EARLY from PO, will you eat the crow?

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

19. Walt White

20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

If the Mets don't make the playoffs who wins the bet?