Pitmasters - What's on the menu?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yes I have Stokes and its kinda tricky. You're really gonna have to pay verry close attention to your IT or you will overcook it. Remember Lamb should be pink, not gray. Choose a mild wood for your smoke. Something like Pecan or Cherry mixed with Hickory.

No higher than 135-145F IT. That will yield a nice pink color with lots of jou. I would also consider putting the Lamb in a aluminum pan just to keep the jou for dipping. Smoking temps should be between 225-250F. Don't forget to put some small amount water in the smoke chamber to make sure your lamb stays moist throughout. The Lamb will be done when its done. Don't rush it... :)

This weekend, I'm taking my first shot at "cupcake chicken". I'll post pics when finished. I'm doing a small shoulder for some pulled pork slated for lunch next week.

I'm including a meat temperature chart that hopefully you can print and use. Hopefully this helps you create the perfect boneless Leg of Lamb JS. I would also suggest you wrap the lamb in foil once you get within 10deg of your finish temp. Then take it off the smoker and let it rest in a cooler until you're ready to slice it.

Good luck Pardner!

Attached Files:

#161 Cman68, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    Brook! likes this.
  2. Cman68

Just another case of a poor guy that suddenly becomes rich. He has no idea what to do with it so he throws it around like nothing.

Brook! likes this.
  3. Cman68

Well Brook, I'm have an advantage out here in Central PA because its still mostly rural and there are lots of farms and farmer's markets nearby. I usually go to the Giant Food Market and get Smithfield or if I want a packer brisket, I go to Walmart believe it or not. My other option is to go to the friday Farmer's Market here in York and just pick the best. Just keep in mind Brook that its not only the quality of the meat, its the talent of the cook that creates perfection. If you're going into business however, WHERE you get your product is crucial so I would search your area for farms and markets and such. Chances are you won't get the same quality in your local big supermarket as you would from the small meat business. Walmart is a viable option as well on occasion.

Good luck with this!

Brook! likes this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"Packer brisket?"

5. Cman68

Yep. A "Packer Brisket" comes whole. That is, with the Point and Flat still connected. It also has a large fat cap that must be trimmed as well. They're usually sold at Walmarts out here close to holidays. I can get them at farmer's markets just about anywhere. Like I was telling Brook, living out here in Central PA has it advantages when it comes to farm fresh food. Between the Mennonites and the local Farmers, there's not much I can't get fresh. Not bad for a kid from Harlem huh? :)

6. Ralebird

Okay, never heard it called that, usually just a whole brisket (flat and deckle still attached). But that's Texas style. Smoked intact and pulled apart and fat trimmed down after twelve hours or so. And they can be had in supermarkets for under two bucks a pound, maybe even 99 cents around summer holidays.

Cman68 likes this.
  7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

He Cman- I found my lamb shoulder for tonite so I am going to freeze the leg of lamb and definitely smoke it soon.

Quick questions- if it's a 3-1/4 pound boneless leg (tied up), about how long would a smoke at the 225 temp to get that nice IT? Not looking for exact times- just ball park. We talking 2 hours? 4 hours? 6?

And would you put a marinade on it? A dry rub? Or like a garlic, oregano and lemon smear?

_

8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I will need ground lamb(fat content at least 30%) for my kebab tomorrow. Shall I rely on Shop Rite for Lamb Meat?

9. JStokes

I buy ground lamb at Shoprite all the time when I make Shepard's Pie.

It's fine.

_

10. JStokes

Dude you should smell my kitchen right now. Making a lamb tagine with Israeli cous cous and nan.

The spice mix is awesome.

_

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Pics or didn't happen. :p [Yes. It's sour grapes. I will freely admit.]

[Why do I feel so hungry all of a sudden - I have to wonder.]

12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Cool. I will try tomorrow and let you know if I liked or no. Thanks :)

My type of dinner. Enjoy Stokes.

13. Cman68

Not today. Figured I'd wait until next weekend when the temps will be in the mid 60's...Was still pretty cold this mornin..

14. Cman68

I'd go with a dry rub mostly because of the very tasty crust that will develop. You can go 225 or 250. Just make sure to check it I'd say every 1hr or so. Did you download that temp chart I put on here?

PS: Rub the Lamb with yellow mustard THEN apply the dry rub. The mustard will act like a glue for the dry rub and then cook off so you won't taste it.

15. JStokes

Haven't downloaded it yet. Haven't been on my computer for a few days and I can't see it on my phone.

_

16. Cman68

Here's a little something that might come in handy for you Pittmasters this summer:

Wood Chart.jpg

17. Ralebird

Little is right. Can anybody read any of it?

Brook! likes this.
  18. Cman68

is it too small to read? My bad!!
    [​IMG]

Better?

Brook! likes this.
  19. Cman68

20. Ralebird

Much. Thanks.