A whole lot of cheatin' going on-STL Cardinals?

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by pclfan, Jun 16, 2015.

1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The FBI is investigating the STL Cardinals baseball team for hacking the Astros computers. This is pretty serious stuff and makes Deflategate look juvenile in comparison. Here is an article by Tom Verducci giving theories on why they would do it. Looks like there's a lot of bad blood between Jeff Luhnow who used to work for the Cardinals and is now GM of Houston. http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/06/16/cardinals-astros-hacking. I also read something that part of the payback is because some of the Cardinals front office people think that Luhnow took confidential STL info and documents with him when he went to the Astros. Here is another article from the NYT. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/sports/baseball/st-louis-cardinals-hack-astros-fbi.html?_r=0 I guess now-a-days if you want to get back at someone you either hack them or smear them on social media.

2. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

I think it would be a bigger deal if the attacks were sophisticated, but from the reports it seems thats not the case and it's just a case of bad password policy. Still a felony though, and the guy responsible is going to pay a big price by going to jail and not being able to find work after that. Not comparable to deflating balls to gain an on the field advantage though. We still don't know, and likely will never know, how many games/seasons the Patriots were cheating.

3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I don't think deflating balls had anything to do with game outcomes. Although I'm rooting for Brady to get the 4 games. It was cheating as usual for the Patriots. To me this is a bigger deal. And against the law. I think all of us are getting pretty sick and tired of computer hacking, identity theft, etc.

4. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

What interests me is how the Cardinal employee accessed the Astros database. Reports say the attack wasn't sophisticated and that the database was accessed from a home computer. So even if they had a password list that they used to brute force in, they still had to know where to go to attempt it. Do the Astros have a public front end to their database? Would be funny if true.

5. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I just read that the Yankees when they heard about this months ago increased the security on their computers. Brian Cashman even said that it is now difficult to access them and that Yankees employees have complained about it but that the security is much improved. But it seems the Cardinals were trying to access information and also find out what data the Houston GM had "stolen" from them.

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Everybody does it

7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Well you can say the same thing about deflating footballs or scuffing baseballs. But I doubt MLB teams are actively hacking other teams computers because they can go to jail.

#7 pclfan, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

It was Houston's fault for not having proper security firewalls in place.

And the leagues fault for not insisting Houston have proper security firewalls in place.

Had Houston just stayed in bed, they never would have gotten hacked.

_

Barry the Baptist likes this.
  9. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I find it funny that a purported Jet fan still looks for any excuse to downplay Deflategate. This has nothing to do with it but 3 of his 4 posts in this thread mention Deflategate.

10. JStokes

PCL is not a Jet fan, he's a Pats fan and massive Cheatriot troll.

And quite possibly the least logical poster on the board, and that includes some of the dumb children we have posting here.

_

11. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I've been trying to avoid this guy. He can say whatever he wants. Deflategate isn't major it's minor. The same thing as scuffing a baseball. It's idiotic but typical to blame the Astros because they were hacked. To me that's cheating.

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Based on what I've read and an interview and conversation on Keith Olberman's show the Cardinals basically had access to trade conversations between the Astros GM and other GMs, internal trade strategy, scouting reports, player evaluation and basically everything in terms of all Astros operations.

13. JStokes

So you didn't even understand what I said about Houston.

Geebus.

Btw, scuffing a baseball ONCE is minor.

Scuffing a baseball on EVERY pitch for an ENTIRE game is not minor.

But you'll have trouble figuring that one out too, Pats fan.

_

14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

That's why I don't even bother replying to him most of the time. Not worth it. Just remember, offsides is just as bad as illegally deflating the football.

15. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'm not going to derail my own thread and get into a personal dispute. But you know and I know that Deflategate is not a big deal. And had little to do with the outcome of games. So get off the rag about it already. I guess it makes you a super Jets fan to scream bloody murder about the Cheatriots and their shenanigans. It doesn't prove you're a Jets fan and it doesn't mean shit.

16. JStokes

You decided to derail your own thread with your illogical and incomprehensible defense of your hero Brady.

If you make every football that you use in a game easier to throw, catch and hold onto you'd have to be an idiot not to understand it effects the outcome of games (the Ravens say hi).

No disrespect to true idiots.

_

17. JStokes

It's amazing what a dope this troll is.

In multiple threads at the same time.

_

18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'm not going to deal with your hysteria, Stokes. I've seen a few of your replies to other posters who don't agree with you and it's same old same old: insulting them. I think you need another time out. I'm just interested in talking sports, disagreeing, chewing the fat, etc. but I can't do it with you. If I'm so stupid you shouldn't even dignify me by replying. I think you need a check up from the neck up.

19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Another thing before I shut my trap about this. I know you'll reply because you never let anybody have the last word. If Deflategate wasn't the Patriots you wouldn't be even talking about it. Because you know it's a minor issue. I hate them too, but I don't have to constantly prove it like you.

20. JStokes

And I don't need to deal with your inability to understand logic. It just entertains me.

It's a minor issue to YOU because you're really a Patriots fan. Everyone saw it in the Brady thread.

To the rest of us, it's sickening how your team continues to flaunt the rules.

_