Why does Geno Smith receive so much hate?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, May 5, 2015.

1. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

I was listening to WFAN this morning and the radio host likened that Dan Boyle quarterbacks the power play like Geno Smith.

Also.... Geno Smith was BOOED at the Nets game

Why is this guy so hated by the media and why do fans buy into it?

He was a mid second round pick (obviously needed time to develop) who just happened to be the best healthy QB on the Jets roster the last two years.

One thing I will say about Geno Smith is that he seems mentally tough as evident by the fact that he play reasonably well after his benching.

Since Jets fans/media KILL every QB that comes through these parts a necessary attribute is to have THICK SKIN. Geno Smith seems to have this whereas Mark Sanchez didn't.

Hopefully he can do well with Chan Gailey who seems to run a QB friendly system.

slimjasi, JetLifeLo and hornblower like this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

he doesn't hold himself accountable

3. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

WFan has two awful New York sports radio shows. They should move Wfan to Boston

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Jet fans are angry people.

Rictor33, Vida, mezzavo and 2 others like this.
  5. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

For the most part the hate he receives is uncalled for or taken too far. Hopefully with NFL caliber recievers and a new HC/OC he will turn it around. If not I hope we don't destroy Petty in the process. Any chance of him becoming a future QB will be ruined if he's thrown into the fire this season.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

performance, performance, performance....

Pocket Jet, jetfan59, PickSix and 3 others like this.
  7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Is this a trick question?

8. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I don't hate Geno I just don't think he deserves the opportunity to start/start.

He had his shot he blew it. I've seen enough.

For him to come out and say the Jets are his team last week

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!

That sense of entitlement and he's done NOTHING in the NFL bothers me.

Go with Fitzpatrick to start the season.

jetsons, FlaJet, june19 and 2 others like this.
  9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I think a lot of it stems from cursing out that fan. It kinda alienated him as a person from us, you just can't do that. Regardless of his on field play it's easier to hate on a guy if you don't find him a sympathetic figure.

10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think it comes in part that the idea is that every college qb should be great as soon as he gets in the nfl. Truth is qb play in the league is terrible all around save for maybe 10 franchises. He wasnt ready to start day one, we all knew it. I dont hate him, I think he has what it takes actually, but he hasn't played up to it. The organizational mess didnt help either.

Dreadmadseen and westiedog1 like this.
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Aren't you a Jet fan?

slimjasi likes this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He blew his load when he walked out of the draft.

13. nyjunc

I don't buy that, Chad Pennington certainly never cursed out a fan and he was cheered when he got hurt, Mark Sanchez never cursed out a fan and he received the same treatment after helping us reach 2 title games. The Jet fan is an angry fan by nature.

14. Don

That^ He seemed to me to be pissed off that we selected him and he was pissed off at the world because he wasn't taken at the top of the first round. n retrospect he should have been taken in the 4th.

15. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

I think people felt handcuffed to him while having to watch teams like the Raiders and Vikings find solid young QBs in the late first and early second round and now have to hear him lay claim to a team that he has done nothing with and has shown marginal improvement if any.
    And they know that of we are stuck with him in a year when the team is this stacked that he'll be the difference between competing and pretending, and a difference for the worse of those two

16. nyjunc

I am but not a typical Jet fan. I don't go to games to boo.

17. Don

I suppose that's what happenes when you go 50 years since your last win.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

....he has a goofy looking face.

19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I watched him a LOT in college and was not a fan, but if the Jets were going to take him I was going to support him. But this really turned me off from the start. He's lucky his posse convinced him to return for the second day of the draft.

[​IMG]

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/26/geno-smith-says-he-wont-be-back-on-friday/

Geno Smith says he won’t be back on Friday

At a time when quarterback Geno Smith has faced harsh criticism regarding his ability to handle adversity, Smith isn’t handling adversity well.

Specifically, the game that is the NFL draft isn’t going the way he expected, so Smith plans to take his bat and ball and go home.

Smith told ESPN’s Suzy Kolber after Thursday night’s opening round that he won’t be back on Friday for rounds two and three.

If Smith doesn’t return, he’ll be confirming in the minds of many that he can’t show grit and resolve under pressure. That he’ll sink his head and slump his shoulders when the team is 14 points behind in the third quarter. That he’ll pout if he’s not the starter or if he gets benched. That he’ll complain about the use of too many running plays when he prefers to air it out.

At a time when multiple other quarterbacks remain on the board, Smith needs to stand tall in the face of disappointment and show up for Friday’s festivities. Only 32 players have been picked, including just one quarterback. And if Smith thinks he has it bad, at least Smith didn’t have to experience his college coach Dana Holgorsen take an NFL head-coaching job, trade down from No. 8 to No. 16, and then selectE.J. Manuel.

When Smith accepted the invitation to the draft, he knew there was a chance he wouldn’t get picked in round one. If he had any concerns about his ability or willingness to show up for the second day of the draft, he shouldn’t have agreed to make the trip to New York.

Then again, maybe he was listening a little too closely to those who were insisting that he’d be a top-five pick.

There’s still a decent chance Geno will be a top-five pick in round two. If he doesn’t return to the draft on Friday night, interested teams could opt for one of the other quarterbacks instead.
    _

20. nyjunc

That is not an excuse to be a poor human being.