Steak vs. Lobster

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by HackettSuxTNG, Apr 2, 2015.

?

Which do you choose as your main course - The perfect steak or the perfect lobster?

1. Lobster

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. Steak

40 vote(s)
    85.1%
  1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The correct answer is both.

HAYN likes this.
  2. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Surf and Turf fawk ya!

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

squirrel

4. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

I feel the same way, but for different reasons.. I'd go steak over lobster but Alaskan King Crab legs over anything. They're expensive, but it's one of the world's most dangerous professions for a reason. I find crab to be sweeter than lobsters

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Steak is my favorite main course, specifically New York Strip, medium rare, with red wine, preferably creamed spinach as a side. Sparks Steak House is the place to do it up right.

Lobster is pretty good, but not even my favorite seafood, arguably not even my favorite shellfish. I find it messy and difficult and only okay smothered in butter. I prefer tuna, mahi, grouper, even a nice cut of cod or halibut. For shellfish crabmeat is better.

Some have pointed out that lobster used to be considered a poor person's meal. A great example is in David Copperfield.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

mussels are very underrated IMO

7. JetsHuskers fan

JetsHuskers fan Well-Known Member

8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I have a mussel dish called "The Mafia Recipe" which is easy and awesome. I think I got it out of Brian Piccolo's biography or maybe Gale Sayer's "I Am Third". But it could have been out of a Sinatra book.

_

9. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Oh no.......

Royal Tee likes this.
  10. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

A Well Done Ribeye varies from Medium to Medium Well depending on the cut. It would come out Rare if I ordered Medium.

11. JetsHuskers fan

JetsHuskers fan Well-Known Member

i dont mind medium but I can't stand rare. I prefer well done to rare.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's called a delmonico not a ribeye and well done is for old, pussy women and/or little kids

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Or people wanting to test their newly installed dental implants....

14. Cman68

Give me a well marbled grilled Delmonico with an IT of 140F that's been covered and rested.

15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Man, I am hurt :)

I love my meat beyond well done. I want it charred and burnt.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Hmmm, probably not:

Wikipedia says...

"Delmonico steak (alternately steak Delmonico) refers to a method of preparation from one of several cuts of beef (typically the Rib Cut) prepared Delmonico style, made by Delmonico's Restaurant in New York City during the mid-19th century.[1]
    There is controversy as to exactly which cut of steak was originally used by Delmonico's Restaurant.[2] There are at least eight different cuts which are claimed to be the original for the Delmonico Steak. According to some sources, the original Delmonico steak was a boneless top sirloin, almost two inches thick with delicate marbling and cooked to the preference of the diner.[citation needed]
    Delmonico's steak may now, in the 21st century, refer to other cuts, prepared differently in different parts of the USA. This wider variety of beef cuts may be broiled, fried, or grilled. Some of the steak cuts now commonly referred to as Delmonico steak include:
    Boneless rib-eye steak: A Delmonico cut rib-eye consists of two heart cuts of ribeye tied together with butcher's twine. It resembles a filet mignon in appearance, but because of the more marbled nature of a ribeye, is moister. The modern rarity of the Delmonico cut of rib-eye may be due to the fact that it renders the remaining pieces of ribeye unsaleable as anything but stewmeat, and the profit to be made from a pair of choice ribeyes is almost always more than that of a single Delmonico. The Delmonico Steak served by the current iteration of Delmonico's in New York is a boneless ribeye.[3]
    Bone-in top loin steak: (a triangular-shaped, short loin cut, some suggesting the first cut of the top loin next to the rib end) also known as a club steak, country club steak, shell steak, and strip loin steak).
    Boneless top loin strip steak: (also known as a New York strip steak, Kansas City steak, strip loin, ambassador, boneless club, hotel or veiny steak)"

17. JStokes

10-12 years ago at the top steak houses "rare" meant really rare/almost blue.

Today medium rare means really rare/almost blue.

The last 3-4 medium rare steaks that came out were near raw except for some charring on the outside.

Nowadays I order my steaks medium and they come out closer to what medium rare used to mean. Medium well is pink inside.

I'm actually doing less steak at top restaurants for exactly that reason.

_

18. Cman68

Well, for this year's BDay, I will make reservations for Pete Luger's. I really want to try one of those legendary steaks! Knock another one off the bucket list! :)

19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I want to try there as well. Please share your experience grandpa. Tell us if it is worth making the trip from Jersey to Brooklyn.

20. JStokes

Lugers is very good but no need to go to Brooklyn for outstanding steak from a legendary steakhouse.

Keen's Chophouse nearvHerald Square is exceptional.

Great steak, historic building since 1885, has close to 100,000 clay pipes (smoking pipes) adorning its ceilings and walls and hallways with some famous ones from Babe Ruth, Dwight Eisenhower, Teddy Roosevelt and other legendary stage and screen actors and magnates and athletes and presidents.

World famous mutton chop. Well, now lamb but it's the size of your head.

Really a cool experience.

http://ny.eater.com/2011/7/27/6670601/the-history-of-keens-the-126-year-old-house-of-mutton#4288578

_

Cman68 and Brook! like this.