ASOIAF: Game of Thrones Books (Contains SPOILERS!!)

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Jun 10, 2013.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Also 3rd, I know you hate the idea of 3 Dragon riders.

But what if those 3 riders never meet throughout the rest of the books?

#361 abyzmul, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced Arya is actually going to become a faceless man she doesn't seem to be do doing very well at becoming "no one" and forgetting her previous life. She's got to do something one way or another to get back to Westeros though.

As exciting as the thought of Dany dying is that post was apparently in reference to his agent who just died, not any of the characters in the book.

As far as the dragon riders go I have more of a problem with who they're assumed to be than their existence. Although I would like the Ironborn to get a dragon, or at least force one to be killed.

3. abyzmul

He better feature Euron prominently in Winds of Winter, that's one of the most polarizing characters in the books and he's been treated like an afterthought.

Didn't know that about his agent.

I don't really have a lot of stock in the dragon riders, and I almost think the Targaryan arcs are distractions from the notion that the entire series hinges on Jon Snow.

4. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

A lot of important characters may end up seeming like they're treated as afterthoughts if he's really going to finish the series in 2(or even 3) more books. That's the real problem with the series ballooning the way it has, we essentially have 5 giant books worth of material that was originally intended to be the first third of a trilogy. At best it's going to seem rushed, at worst it will just be a giant clusterfuck that no one really cares about. I'm over the cliffhangers as well, he needs to start setting the table and raising the stakes for whatever the climax of the series is going to be. If it's going to be the Others they also better feature prominently because we know next to nothing about them and they've barely done anything so far.

5. abyzmul

Yeah - I think we've learned more about the Others in the TV show than we have in the books, which is ludicrous.

6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

7. abyzmul

Yeah, I read about that. There's really not much else already written in the books that they haven't covered in Bran's arc (except how the completely wrote Coldhands out of it), aside from Bran eating the Jojen Stew. Heck, they even added that nonsense at Craster's to add Bran content.

And I am actually not even excited about that arc after they had that CoTF shooting fucking fireballs out of it's hands, what the fuck was that all about.

8. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

9. abyzmul

Part of me hopes he does actually just die in the next 5 years so I can finally learn the rest of the story.

10. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I heard recently that the show is going to kill of some characters that don't die in the book. Wanted to guage how people felt. To me it depends on the character, I mean if you kill of someone who is still going to be around for the finale in the books that's dumb but if you kill off people GRRM has indicated don't make it to the end of the series then it's less ridiculous...although it could be a spoiler for something that hasn't happened in the books yet.

This combined with the fact that the show will likely eclipse the pace of the books being published makes me wonder how faithful they intend to be to the books and how much of it they just want to completely fabricate on their own. Wouldn't it be strange if one series branches off in an entirely different direction from the other? I don't know how I feel about this.

11. displacedfan

We've seen the show take what should be a new character and combine it into an already existing character. I think they do for a lot of side characters they need to get rid of. I don't think any MAIN characters in the show die.

12. deerow84

Fair enough. I just don't like some of the changes that they have made, seemingly for no reason, so if they also just started killing off fairly important characters or just generally started venturing off in completely different directions that would be kind of worrying. They have all but ignored the Iron Island stuff which is pretty important as well, so I wonder if they will stress that more or just omit it entirely.

13. displacedfan

I think the BIG ending for the show will be the same as the books,b uthe path to that ending will be drastically different

deerow84 likes this.
  14. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I've read the recent casting information for Season 5. Gotta say, i'm really disappointed that we wont be seeing Victarion or Euron this season. Even Arrianne isnt in it. Introducing the Martells without Arrianne, likely means she's cut from the show. I just hope they dont cut out Theon's uncles. Vicatarion's chapters became some of my favorite ones while reading ADWD.

#374 kevmvp, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    BeastBeach likes this.
  15. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

They may not even have Lady Stoneheart in season 5 (which would be very disappointing).

16. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Yeah I heard she was cut from the show. Sucks

17. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Well, it's not set in stone, but I just have a bad feeling about it.

kevmvp likes this.
  18. deerow84

I'm wondering if they are just cutting the Greyjoy story entirely, which would be hard to believe given the significance of their presence in the books but if the show is willing to make drastic changes then why not that as well?

Because of the fact that the show is going to surpass the books I have two major and conflicting concerns:
    1) They will venture so far away from the intention and plan of the book that they don't resemble each other at all and we're reading the books after and trying to find similarities between the show and books.
    2) They will stick very close to the intention and plan of the books and essentially be spoiling the books, even if it's not done in an obvious way. For example if they never include the Greyjoys storyline, specifically Victarion and Euron of course, in the show that will signal to the book readers that the storyline is not of any real significance to the endgame of the books.

19. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I agree with both points. The second point especially. I'm worried that by them cutting certain characters, is it actually giving away the fact that they're not that important in the long run in the book series? Thing is, we've heard in Dany's chapters that Euron (The Kraken) will be one of her biggest obstacles going forward. They could always reveal Euron as Daario or something in the show if they wanted, even if thats not who he is in the books as a way to get him in. We've seen them combine certain characters stories before for time purposes.

deerow84 likes this.
  20. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member