Marcus Mariota it is (Serby)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Feb 8, 2015.

1. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Why does Geno deserve another opportunity? I didn't expect him to "light it up", I expected to SHOWCASE improvement in years 2, I expected him to display better footwork and accuracy. . so I'll ask you again, why does Geno deserve to start again? Does he deserve to start, because he's a young, 24 years old?

2. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

He deserves to start because he had fucking dimwits coaching him for 2 years.. He deserves to start because QB's don't start coming into their own until Year 3. He deserves to start because I say so.. He deserves to start because I'd rather jump off a cliff than bring Matt Moore here to start.. He deserves to start because he went from 12 TD's in 2013 to 13 TD's in 2014. If that isn't improvement then I don't know what is.

The alternatives ( Free Agency & Draft ), are equally as bad if not worse... So rock with him one more year, use that #6 pick on Cooper if he falls or Kevin White, or a T or G, and lets build this team.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

It is incomprehensible what is being trotted out here.

Btw, he'll be 25 first month into the season.

_

4. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

If you want Moore or one of the other good vets available like Hoyer you have to basically offer them the job plus a decent (over 4 mil) salary. There will be competition. I think we need a guy like him with or without Mariota.

5. Jay Bizniss

That made me chuckle.

6. JStokes

Hahahahaaaa.

[​IMG]

_

7. BigSnacks54

I don't care about Geno's terrible stats . I've studied his mechanics, I've watched tape of him since he was at WVU, and he hasn't shown any signs of improvement. He's the same player that he was at WVU- a mentally fragile player, with terrible mechanics that abandons the fundementals when he doesn't have five to seven seconds to go through his progressions. He came from a ONE read system, where he wasn't asked to even read one side of the field... he still doesn't know how to read defenses and you want him to start? He still stares down receivers, he doesn't look off safeties, and he's one of the most unaware players in the league. Marty had his problems here, but he was one if the most respected offensive coordinators in the league and he couldn't even help Geno become a competent player. Coach's can only do so much, they can't teach stupid; and unfortunately Geno does not posses a high football IQ.

#187 BigSnacks54, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    Big Blocker and freemantoon like this.
  8. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

LMFAOOOOOO @ "He went from 12 TDs in 2013 to 13 in 2014" I am cryinng

is there a favorite button on here to save posts??

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  9. BigSnacks54

I hope this is the case, there's no way Geno beats out Matt Moore or another vet...

#189 BigSnacks54, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  10. JStokes

Yup 1000%.

Saw him a lot at WVU, saw him live a bunch and his career there was a mirage, propped up by shovel passes--literally handoffs--to Austin and Bailey who'd take it 80 yards for TDs. Early senior year he was putting up massive numbers against Baylor and Marshall and James Madison (yeah, who knew they played football) and when the schedule got tougher he became just ordinary against Big 12 teams. And he blew against my alma mater in the Pinstripe Bowl.

I like your characterization of "mentally fragile'.

_

11. JStokes

Put it in your sig.

_

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

If you want a guy like Moore or Hoyer you have to outbid the competition. So maybe overpay a little (that's what you spend some of that extra cap money on plus you are getting rid of Vick's 4 mil salary-so maybe it costs you an extra 1 mil). Like McCown they will sign with a team that promises them the starting job. So no Qb competition. They are the starter. Either Mariota or Geno the backup. We might be able to trade Geno who is better than some of the backups presently in the NFL. I expect something like a conditional 6th round pick for him but his salary for the next two years is low so other teams could be interested.

13. BigSnacks54

I'm afraid that he wasn't joking... he made a similar response earlier in this thread.

I just don't understand you Geno homers, you guys have to graduates of WVU right?

14. BigSnacks54

His pouting at draft day told me all I needed to know about his character.

He's a hard worker, but he comes across as a spoiled brat IMO.

He can become a good backup in the future, but his days as a starting Quarterback are numbered...

15. Jay Bizniss

I was joking.

BigSnacks54 likes this.
  16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

So to sum it up. If Mac is serious about getting a new starting Qb for 2015 which is highly advisable. Then he has to seriously negotiate with the Qb he wants to sign. And outbid other teams. I hope it isn't Mallette. If he's wrong on this it could be his downfall.

17. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Whether you love Mariota or think he is the chance to be a bust, if he is sitting there at 6 how can anyone fault the Jets for drafting him? In my opinion with the QB situation being what it is, you just can't afford to pass on the chance of having a franchise QB. You kill yourself if this guy goes onto be a very good QB (not even great) and we are sitting here 6 years from now still looking for a QB. I don't even think there is a discussion to be had. If he is there 1t 6 you SPRINT to the podium with the card.

Just the same way you can't fault the jets for trading up for Sanchez or drafting Geno with the second, we have to get a QB that is competent for a decade. How we developed/played those QBs can be criticized....rightfully so. Taking them I have no issue at all with that and the same would go for Mariota.

People last like we are just going to find a QB in Walmart......We keep drafting QBs until we get it right.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Heh. I perhaps should have saif if I was the brand new GM for DC.

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'd rather Mariota bust with us then boom with another team. Although I think he has very little chance of being a true bust.

20. JStokes

Exactly.

_