Free Agency shopping list

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Truth4U2, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

When does free agency officially start? (strangely I didn't see it on NFL.com, but then again I didn't do much digging)

It's not too soon, I guess, to start discussing this, so I have posted below the latest list of avilable free agents by position (I assume it's late enough that this is the final list). I know there has already been some chatter in other threads, but I couldn't find one dedicated to free agency so I thought I'd start one:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000459436/article/2015-nfl-unrestricted-free-agents-by-position

Looking at that QB list, I think Colt McCoy and Matt Flynn are both interesting as backups who could potentially challenge Geno. Clausen or Mallet maybe too; Clausen recall was a fairly high draft pick when he came out.

2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

March 10th officially but you can talk to players a few days before without tampering.

Truth4U2 likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

First thing you do is put feelers out to Dez, Demaryius, Cobb and Maclin.
    Maccagnan makes a call to Iupati.
    Have Gailey do some chatting with CJ Spiller.
    Have Bowles immediately call Cro.

If we can walk away from this offseason with Cro, Spiller, Iupati, one of those four WRs and a new contract for Mo, we've had an extremely successful offseason.

4. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I want Iupati even more than i want any of the skill position guys. Having an elite O-Line will make our running game hard to stop; which
    will take the pressure off of whomever our quarterback might be.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you have to be prudent with iupati. He's a great guard but I wouldn't try to spend too much $$ on guards. There is a lot of money to be spent though I guess.

6. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

I agree on Dez and Demaryius, though I doubt Dez will be available, and probably not Demaryius either but you never know.
    I disagree about Spiller; he has tantalizing ability, but has never really put it together in 5 seasons with the Bills; he's been a perennial tease so far.
    I agree on Cro. One way or another we need to add a top shelf CB
    I strongly agree on Iupati. He would really help our O-line!

BTW, I am glad that we have forgiven each other after that argument we had on here. There's nothing I respect more than a person who is willing to forgive and move on, so that tells me the kind of person you are. Thanks buddy! :)

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Look we have money to spend. And with upgrades at key positions and with the draft the team can be competitive in 2015 because there are good players on this team. Let's intelligently spend it and not grossly overpay. I didn't say don't overpay I said don't grossly overpay. Like Kraft said about Belichick: he understands the salary cap. So let's not be stupid about this. With this money if spent wisely a lot of rebuilding can be done right now. Forget about Dez Bryant. You don't want to sink all of your money on one player. Plus the guy is a fruit cake.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

this is side note: that Kraft/BB stuff is so F ing stupid. They don't win because they understand the salary cap they win because they have Tom Brady. That makes it a hell of a lot easier to win and "understand the salary cap"

almbleamal likes this.
  9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

NEP doesn't win without that infrastructure. And having good economics so they can get good fits in Belichick's system. If they spent all of their money on the Dez Bryants they couldn't put together the kind of team they have. So you don't need big ticket players to be a good team. On Sunday NEP was starting only one first round pick on offense.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

I believe they have mismanaged their player personnel process. They let some good players go too early and they could've won even more with Brady if they weren't dumb.

The opposite of what you are saying is true. It took them 10 years after their last SB victory to FINALLY sign big ticket FAs Revis & Browner and they were rewarded with the title because of it.

They only started one first round pick on offense on sunday because they are poor drafters. That wasn't a plan. Brady wins with whoever.

Worst than the cheating is their arrogance. They don't win because they do anything different, they win because they have Tom F ing Brady. Belichick could take his same arrogant operation on the road and they'd be fielding terrible football teams without Tom Brady.

FJF likes this.
  11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

He's likely going to demand the most based on his resume of Pro Bowls, but he's a little more one-dimensional and IMO, Buffalo will get him.

I'd much rather have Orlando Franklin, who is also an asset in pass protection

BrowningNagle likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

I'd say let Buffalo take him but their GM recently let an Andy Levitre walk suggesting to me that they smartly didn't value the guard position with that kind of money. Iupati would cost even more. However, with Rex in house they will want to run "ground and pound" so who knows maybe they will throw big $$ at Iupati.

13. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

NEP didn't win a Super Bowl for a decade but have been in them including after a 16-0 season. Not too many repeats in recent years, either. They totally know what they're doing. Woody was trying to imitate their success when he hired Mangini. Who knows with more time it might have worked. They laid part of the groundwork for the 2 AFC Championship games.

#13 pclfan, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  14. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Call up these fellas...

Randall Cobb
    Jeremy Maclin
    Mike Iupati
    Orlando Franklin
    Antonio Cromartie
    Chris Culliver
    Rahim Moore
    Jason Worilds

tbruner12 likes this.
  15. JetFanInPA

My guess is they will as they have a big hole at guard, have the 49ers ex-OC, and indeed want the "ground and pound" according to Rex. Some dots connect there. Also, that was the previous GM who let Levitre go, not Whaley

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. JetFanInPA

I think Cromartie makes too much sense and would be an ideal signing.

How do people feel about Ravens OLB Pernell McPhee? He's been a rotational player behind Suggs and Dumervil and has outplayed recent high draft pick Courtney Upshaw. He amassed 7.5 sacks last season, a very high PFF grade, and was also effective against the run. Maybe he can be had for a little less money than Worilds and be a just as good or better player

17. BrowningNagle

I hope you are right. Buffalo taking Rex, wanting to run an outdated offense and in turn signing a guard to big time money when they don't have a lot is a positive for the Jets.

Just when they were beginning to turn things around up there... they go back in time..

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The Jets have money to spend and Iupati is a great player. Would be thrilled with this.

19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

1. Before free agency starts talk to our guys and sign or extend the ones we really want.

2. If guys like Wilkerson and Snacks will not agree to an extension beyond 2015 I would be looking for their replacements now.

3. First priority is to get at least one pass rusher and one corner back in free agency.

4. All of the big time players get a call regardless of position. Even if we do not think that Suh or Dez are realistic we should at least find out what the price tag is until they are officially off table.

5. Sign at least on QB and OL in free agency before the draft.

Some guy I would like to have:

Ryan Mallet
    Colt McCoy
    Brian Orakpo
    Antonio Cromatie
    Shane Vereen
    Torrey Smith
    Stefen Wisnewski

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

I like it a lot. McPhee would be a great under the radar signing.
    It would free up the draft as well as they wouldn't necessary have to draft OLB when they are sitting at #6 with OLBs sitting there to mull over