New Syracuse Football Uniforms

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by JStokes, Apr 16, 2014.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I have no intent to dump on a huge former rival but St. John's hasn't been a big time program in a very very long time.

St. John's isn't a big college BB draw in NYC. When Cuse played in the Big East tourney over the last decade they'd get a bigger following and more vocal crowd than St. John's.

_

2. JStokes

Our game against Central Michigan is on one of the ESPN channels, down 3-0.

I kind of like the all white uniforms even though the numbers still look stupid.

_

3. JStokes

Man did we play like crap. Almost 600 yards of offense and we still got killed. 3 massive mistakes makes a tight game a blowout.

Had a great time, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    _

4. JetsHuskers fan

JetsHuskers fan Well-Known Member

Labatts Blue is an awesome beer.

Speaking of fugly alternative uniforms, Nebraska is bringing theirs out this weekend for the homecoming game against Illinois. They are simply awful to look at. I dont get why they can't just stick with tradition with uniforms and to stop trying to be like Oregon.

[​IMG]

5. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i dont think those nebraska unis will be terrible on the field. they are over the top red but over the top red can work. those may be a little too dark with the black everything else.

i really liked wisconsins unis this past week with the red helmets/black facemasks. this picture looks like they will be matte red which i have to admit i have never seen before.

now as far as unis are concerned, the oregon state uniforms have grown on me. i love love love the way they have the thick white stripes on the helmets and then have it down the facemask as well. it looks mean as hell when they are down as an offensive line and its like the white just extends down their faces. granted it looks much better with more bars than with less.

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Last time out, Syracuse in all-blue with those white helmets look like dorks with eggshells on their noggins. Their opponent today, Notre Dame, unveiled their alternate (Under Armour) uniforms last time out vs. Purdue, and while they looked a little like Pitt at first blush, those dark all blue unis with gold graphics kinda grew on me -- jazzed up but not in a flashy, garish manner…almost formal-looking and understaded in a way.

[​IMG]

#26 joe, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  7. JStokes

My son and a bunch of his friends are heading down now and we're all going to the game tonite at MetLife.

The only thing I didn't like about the ND uniforms are the helmets. The golden dome helmets are such classics, leave them alone.

Yeah I would have much preferred Underarmour do our Unis than Nike. I concur on the swapping of helmets, keep the white with the white and the blue or orange helmets with the blue.

Tonite they'll probably wear their alternate (lol) grey unis. Don't get it.

_

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

#28 joe, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Agreed, but not both. What's with these?
    [​IMG]

The all-blue with blue helmets look good (if a little UVA-ish). I don't know why they had to change from the Don McPherson orange helmets/blue jerseys/orange pants in the first place. Those unis say 'Syracuse.'

10. JStokes

Actually we only have all flat metallic orange helmets this year. No fade, no all blue.

I loved the unis from McPhersons days but the kids don't want that. They want Oregon style.

_

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The grey pajamas look like horseshit.

12. JStokes

They look like horseshit that has been festering by the roadside for about a month.

They have an all blue and an all white uniform. So their "alternate" (lol) is Orange, right?

Nope. It's "Platinum".

Do those idiots at Nike realize the concept of platinum doesn't translate well to cloth?

My GF thought they were wearing sweatpants and sweatshirts.

_

13. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

The Rutgers Uniforms this season look great as well

14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Some of these college uniforms look terrible compared to even some high school uniforms. Here is what Under Armour put together for manatee HS when the did a game to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project a couple of years back. And Bellevue and St.Thomas Aquinas have some pretty nice, albeit similar uniforms.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

Hate these new uni's

16. JStokes

I don't get the mixing and matching of jerseys pants helmets.

Friday night was blue jerseys and white (instead of blue) pants and it looked awful.

Two weeks ago it was all blue with white helmets. Stupid.

There are 3 unis, just go with the set combos.

I'm writing a strongly worded email to Dr. Gross.

_

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Dear Dr. Gross,

Our uniforms are gross.

18. JStokes

I'll send it right after we get destroyed by Florida State tomorrow.

_

19. JetsHuskers fan

JetsHuskers fan Well-Known Member

Was SU ever good at football?

20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Husker, you kidding? Syracuse had won a national championshipin football (1959) before the Cornhuskers (1970) and their history is filled with Hall of Fame greats begining with the "Buck" O'Neill whose 1915 team were invited to the Rose Bowl.

The 1957 Cotton Bowl Classic team featured Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown. In 1959, Syracuse earned its first National Championship following an undefeated season and Cotton Bowl Classic victory over Texas. The team featured sophomore running back Ernie Davis, who went on to become the first African American to win the Heisman Trophy in 1961, and All-America tackle Ron Luciano, who eventually become a prominent Major League Baseball umpire. Davis was slated to play for the Cleveland Browns in the same backfield as Jim Brown, but died of leukemia before being able to play professionally. Syracuse remained competitive through the 1960s with a series of All American running backs, including Floyd Little and Pro Football Hall of Famer Larry Csonka. Art Monk, another Hall of Famer played for Syracuse.

The program returned to national prominence in 1987 with an undefeated 11-0 regular season record. The team featured Maxwell Award winning quarterback Don McPherson and fullback Daryl Johnston. The team missed an opportunity to play for the NCAA Division I-A National Championship, because both the University of Oklahoma and the University of Miami also finished undefeated that year and finished higher in the polls. Instead, the team faced Southern Conference champion Auburn University in the Sugar Bowl. The game ended in a tie when Auburn kicked a late field goal rather than trying for a game winning touchdown.

Over the next 14 seasons (1988-2001), the program enjoyed tremendous success under coach MacPherson and his successor Paul Pasqualoni, appearing in 11 bowl games (including 3 major bowls) and winning 9. The team also captured or shared 3 Big East football championships during this period. Prominent players of the period included Donovan McNabb, Marvin Harrison, Dwight Feeney, Keith Bullock, Rob Moore, Oadry Ismail, Rob Konrad and Marvin Graves.

#40 joe, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014