2014-15 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by nyjunc, Aug 29, 2014.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

2. nyjunc

3. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

My beloved Duke Bluedevils should be tough, maybe we can hang banner number5! Go Duke

74 likes this.
  4. tbruner12

It's been tough to be a Duke fan for the last few years. Had great things on paper, but something every year seems to keep the team from advancing to the final four. Our lot of talent has been good enough to get us there, but for a ton of different reasons; I believe we have not clicked or played to our true potential. Maybe this time around? I believe U.K. Will be a very tough out in March and April. I can't wait, but right now it's New York Jet time, front and center! Go Jets!! Playoff bound? Losing record? How things develope, is what makes me enjoy watching the team season!

5. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

They have Okafor who apparently is the best player.

6. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

SJU better be an NCAA team this season, that is all.

7. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

This CBB season is UK's to lose

8. nyjunc

considering your last 2 Nat'l titles they didn't really deserve it kind of balances things out.

duke will always be a contender but really for the last decade+ they have been great reg season teams and awful tourney teams w/ the exception of that run in 2010. duke has talent to contend but they lost a ton too. Hopefully they lose in the rd of 64 again but I see them as a sweet 16/elite 8 type of team.

9. nyjunc

They are the favorites w/o a doubt but they should be beatable.

10. tbruner12

What do you mean didn't deserve?

11. tbruner12

I guess Tyler Whinesboro and his team of academic 3rd graders deserved their title? In 2001 Duke won the trophy in rare fashion by winning each game by 10 or more, against a decent run of 6 opponents. In 2010 Duke did play some teams that maybe shouldn't have been in the positions they were in, but lets not forget that is what makes March Madness so fun, and hard to win. If you are saying that in 2010 Dukes opponents were not strong, then you obviously don't watch much basketball. Duke beat a good Baylor team in Texas to get to the Final Four, then beat a West Virginia team that spanked one of coach Cals most talented UK teams. If you think Butler didn't deserve to be in the championship that year, then you really can't see the big picture in college basketball Junc.
    Sorry that your team is declining because of coach Roy. Don't be a Duke hater when it's your own schools fault for hiring such a loser for a coach. The Tarheels are in decline, may not win 20 this year, and may be headed for penalties. Enjoy your season. Hahahahaha
    Go DUKE!!!

12. nyjunc

2001 officiating was atrocious. Jason Williams should have fouled out of the game against Arizona twice and it played a big role in the comeback vs. MD. the one play I can still see was Jason Williams running over an AZ player w/ no foul called. I think that would have been 4 and he would have been on the bench and he was their best player.

In 2010 they had a creampuff run to the title including beating a mid major for the championship and their bigs did nothing but foul and they let them get away w/ it(sort of like Seattle holds every play but they cant' call it every play).

The '10 team was not a worthy champion, the '01 team got some breaks but that was a damn good team at least. Outside of '10 duke has annually underachieved in the tourney since '02.

13. nyjunc

Hansbrough was killed every game, he wasn't a flopper like they teach at duke. he should have gone to the line MORE than he did. and don't talk about academics, you may want to look up some history on duke before making such foolish comments.

the '01 team was good but horrendous officiating won that title for them.

'09 Carolina was even better, they won each game by MORE than 10 pts.

that WVU team lost a starter to injury in that tourney, wasn't the same team. Butler was a nice team but they weren't as good as MSU '09 or Illinois '05.

Carolina is in decline yet since '11 they have advanced further than duke each year but 1.

Carolina is a legit FF contender and should win the ACC. would have been a legit FF contender last year if Hairston doesn't get suspended. Hairston misses a year for a rental car, lance Thomas gets $150k worth of jewelry on the '10 team and nothing happens.

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

(Fart)..................................................its tradition guys.

15. tbruner12

You would complain about officiating, typical Tarheels fan. However not true, watch the games again please. I've got them on video, have watched them multiple times. The 01 Duke title run was no fluke, and officiating didn't even remotely play a role. The Williams foul you are referring to happened before the half, and would have been his 3rd, not 4th. He also had the worst game of the tournament that night, so please put that excuse to bed. The 2010 title wasn't a cake walk as you say, Duke wasn't even picked to be in the Final Four for heavens sake. They peaked and played the best ball of anyone in the tournament at the right time. Calling Butler a mid major really doesn't fit although they are classified as one. They were good and deserved to be there and were good enough to win it.

16. tbruner12

Hansborough was a continuous walking violation every time he touched the ball, and got away with more offensive fouls than anyone in the history of college basketball. He shot more free throws that were undeserved, and got more "and one" attempts than most teams combined. All because he stayed four years and the NCAA wanted to pitch to other kids to stay in school.
    Duke's history as a clean program isn't even comparable to the Junc that your Tarheel team has repetitively put out. Take Avery and Maggette away and suddenly our programs aren't comparable. Fixing GPA's is common at UNC. It's hard to get into Duke, and they sure don't have classes for b-ball players that are crap, and made to keep your program looking clean.
    MSU in 09, lost to Butler the next season in the Final four with a great deal of their team intact. So I'm sure Duke could have handled Michigan st. that season. North Carolina made less trips to the NCAA's than Duke during that decade, so I guess they have been declining more than Duke. It appears that North Carolina has had more things go their way than Duke. North Carolina will need a miracle to be in the Final Four this season. What do you think is on your roster that makes them worthy at this point in the season? McAdoo? Paige? Tokoto?
    I will say that you got cheated in the NCAA's last season in your season ending loss. Didn't get the breaks or the calls. And your coach sucks. His only real title was won with Dougherty's team. The refs let you win in 09 against Michigan St.
    Can't wait for the rivalry games this season. My bucket list includes a Duke-UNC game at Cameron. Go Duke!

17. tbruner12

Besides Junc, no UNC champ team could handle the 2001 or 91-92 back to back team. Not even Jordan's 81 team.
    Duke has been the best ACC team for a very long time, even when they are down.
    All of UNC's glory came from what, when? Coach K is better than Dean, Roy, Guthridge, etc.....
    I know you love to argue, so I gave you plenty of topics to beat yourself up with. Have fun....
    By the way, how is your all time favorite NFL QB doing? Enjoying being a backup? You think that Philly can add enough pieces to hide his inabilities, so he can "Lead" them to NFC title games?
    Atleast we have one thing in common Junc, atleast we love the Jets! Later on man, even though I love to get your panties in a wad!

18. nyjunc

oh stop it, no one got away w/ more than Shelden Williams lowering that shoulder. the difference is Tyler was great.

He shot less FTs than he should have, he was hit more than any player I have ever seen and did so w/o complaining and flopping like they teach at duke.

Oh just Avery and maggette, so you were ok w/ Lance Thomas getting $150,000 worth of jewelry in 2010? you are ok w/ the sociology majors? you may want to research before you post such foolish things.

The MSU team in '10 was not the same as in '09 as they lost their best player heading into that Tourney but that Tourney was so weak they still made the FF. Carolina made more FFs and won more titles even w/ the down couple of years.

McAdoo isn't on the team anymore and Paige is a leading contender for ACC and National Player of the Year. do you watch college basketball?

the '82 Heels would have beaten any duke team, only '92 duke could have competed w/ them. If I was ranking the titles(since the 80s) it would be:

1. '82 UNC
    2. '92 duke
    3. '09 UNC
    4. '05 UNC
    5. '93 UNC
    6. '91 duke
    7. '01 duke
    8. '10 duke

actually Mark is doing great, was the best QB in Philly camp and he will be a starter again sooner than later.

I like to argue, it doesn't upset me. I like when people have the opposite opinion of mine.

19. nyjunc

the officiating that FF was a joke.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameo...a-tournament-bracket-mike-krzyzewski/2003359/

the ref:

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/apr/09/sports/sp-48870\

20. tbruner12

Hansbourogh wasn't great, over rated maybe however not great. Against Oklahoma he got his Whiney Hiney outplayed bad by Blake Griffin. Laettner would have schooled him any day. In college Laettner was great, in the pro's a little above average.
    To say that your 05, or 09 teams are great is silly. They were both won in the era of players leaving way too early. They didn't dominate anyone, and without Ty Lawson, the best player on your team, you don't even make the final four. Your own player Sean May in 05 was much better, anyone could see that. The 1992 Duke team would have whipped any of your championship teams, including 82. Remember Jordan wasn't "Jordan" yet. Your 1993 team was your best champion, with your 05 team being way ahead of your 09 team. Your bias is showing Junc, not your knowledge.
    I realize McAdoo is gone, that was sarcasm. And to say Paige is a player of the year candidate, and your team a Final Four contender, and ACC champ....... Long shots.

Duke in 01 would have spanked your 09 team. Boozer was a better player than your Tyler. Battier and Williams were unstoppable at times, no player on your team could handle them. Dunlevy, James,and Duhon also were quality role players as well. To say the refs helped Duke is an opinion that I'm sure helped you cope with your team getting spanked twice by a team that was playing without Boozer.
    Duke in 91 and 92 would only be challenged by your 93 team, that returned the entire team in 94, and added Stackhouse and Wallace, but choked at the chance of repeating in the round of 32 was it?
    You may find your team this season struggling, not contending for the title. My team may struggle as well because of youth, but not lack of talent like yours. I sure don't struggle in the coaching department, but you sure do. Go Duke!