Bullying will not be tolerated.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Cman68, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Ok, I realize that a lot of us have been on this site since Herm was HC but that's no excuse to intimidate, insult or otherwise bully newcomers. Now they may start threads that perhaps they shouldn't have but again, leave that up to the Mods to handle.

What we love about this site is how many different points of view can be found here. This is as far from a echo chamber as you can get when it comes to football dialogue. That can only continue to happen if we get fresh ideas and POV's from new members. Otherwise, the site will become stale and pretty much boring. I'm gonna guess that none of us wants that.

That being said, I'm asking all of you veteran posters to lighten up on the newbies. You know who you are so I'm not gonna single anyone out. We all take time out of our day to come here and read what our fellow fans have to say. From the Sunniest to the darkest of the darksiders, all of us have an opinion that is worth defending no matter if we agree with it or not. If you don't like a thread, pass on it and go to one you do like. Unpopular threads tend to die on their own without any help.

I'd like to think I'll see fewer reports of bullying after this. If not, the matter will be dealt with swiftly and we all know what that means.

One last thing, Please remember that all of us were newbies once..

Thanks in advance!

Management

Brook!, LF911SC, DaBallhawk and 15 others like this.
  2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Minimum post count threshold to start threads. Problem solved. You're welcome.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The man trying to keep me down again!....;)

4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Have to agree here.

I'm on numerous forums and many of them have a minimum post count. The only problem with that is you get members just posting bullshit to raise their count. They do this a lot in auto forums to get to a certain number to sell things, but it may be different on a forum not involved in selling items, like here.

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I wanna report report Dierking....;-)

FlaJet likes this.
  6. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Good call. I do believe it would be beneficial to have at minimum 50 posts to be able to create new topics. It would also be nice if the mods were a bit more pro active in killing / closing garbage threads as soon as they start, because it's usually the really bad ones created by obvious trolls that turn into mudslinging. I'm not telling you how to do your jobs or anything, just offering some advice to cut down on those types of threads. I was actually a big fan of the naming requirement when you had to source the news to the correct site in the title and whatnot. I also loved the rule of no one liner posts. Those 2 things definitely cut down on the trolling, I think the one liner rule just didn't transfer over to the new forum when the software was updated.

7. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I had to wait a certain amount of time or post to start a thread though..isnt that already a rule.. maybe its new you guys that been here a while might not have had to do it

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Cman... this doesn't bode well for your lunch money situation. Meet me at the fence after school to discuss...

9. joeuser

joeuser Active Member

People were very mean to me when I joined & they still are!

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

yea well. the rule wasn't in place then and you aren't considered a newcomer any more so..............

joeuser likes this.
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Cman, totally agree with the no-bully newbie rule - it's only fair.

But since soxxx isn't a newbie, can we continue to jump his ass whenever he starts up with his "been there/done that" bullshit? :D

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why? I'm sorry, but I think that's an arrogant attitude, and shows your basic lack of respect for others. Just because someone is new doesn't mean that they don't have something good to say, or that their opinion or viewpoint isn't valid or respected.

alleycat9 likes this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

it weeds out trolls who just want to litter the front page with dumpster fire threads. also makes the new users look for threads that may fit the topic they want to discuss so we don't have 3-4 conversations on the same subject going at the same time. we had it with the old forum format and it worked pretty well.

milo, alleycat9, Brook! and 1 other person like this.
  14. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Agreed on the bullying point and the minimum post count for new threads.

15. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

And just when I thought Mr Electric was gonna be able to come back too....

16. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

I thought getting rid of him and the other destabilising influences was the answer to all the world's woes and made TGG a place of unbridled lightness and joy? It's almost like that wasn't it at all.......

17. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

If this thread was a white mod telling black posters to stop bullying, there would be E-riots!!!!!!!!!!!!

NYJalltheway likes this.
  18. Cman68

Last we heard from you, weren't you playing with your chubby? :)

jonnyd likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand your points, and they are valid, but while it may weed out a few trolls, I think that it has at least the potential, if not the result, of hampering good discussion much more than it limits trolls. As Cman pointed out, if it's a ridiculous thread it can be ignored or deleted. Duplicate threads can be merged or deleted. New posters who don't follow good forum decorum can be contacted and have that explained to them. If they don't cooperate, they can be banned.

I've been a member 6 different Jets boards at one time or another over the last 12-15 years, and have read several others on occasion during that time, and have never seen another site where posters and mods were more obsessed or paranoid about duplicate threads. Now maybe you've had a lot more of that kind of thing than other Jets boards I've read or on which I've posted, but I have never witnessed a big problem with those things. Yes, it's better for discussion if everything fits into the same thread, and it's easier for the mods, but imo it's not the end of the world if occasionally there are duplicate threads.

Some topics have a long shelf life so maybe a new poster would get enough posts in time to share his/her thoughts on that topic, but others have a very short shelf life. I'd hate to see the discussion limited and/or perhaps miss a salient point by a new poster on a topic simply because no relevant thread was ever started, and he/she didn't have enough posts to start a new thread.

20. Cman68

Good news my fellow Netizens... A Minimum Post Count is indeed in the works. Once in place, that should both clean up the forums to a degree and eliminate any need for bullying new posters for any reason.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.