Proof Prisco Is An Idiot...Says Mangold Overrated...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Jun 28, 2014.

1. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Picasso is an idiot. He cut off his own ear. Oh wait that was Van Gogh never mind.

2. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

I think Cromartie was the most overrated Jet last season.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't think it is necessarily a knock on Nick, I think the perception is still that he is a 1st team all pro type of C and he really hasn't been that guy in a few years now. Still really good but is he still great?

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree with Prisco. If you have to pick an overrated Jet who do you pick? There's this perception that Mangold is great. He's not great. That doesn't mean he isn't good though. Combine that with the center position in itself which is overrated and Mangold seems like a good choice for the most overrated Jet to me.

5. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Lol .. Him making the pro bowl ruined the whole honor of anyone making that team

6. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Mangold kinda fell off, he's still good though. However, when i hear people say he's still the best center in football (i hear it), or even top 3 still, i can agree with the "overrated" tag

7. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Nick Mangold is indeed the most overrated Jet

8. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

I still think Ferguson is more overrated than Mangold

9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I think that was the case the last couple years but now general consensus is that Brick has slipped so hes no longer overrated. Mangold however, I still hear people say hes the best center in football soooooooooooo hes the most overrated....IMHO of course

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

One tag you could apply to Mangold and not get any argument is that he's the guy the Jets could least afford to lose next season. The only other guy that is close is D'Brick. They're not All Pro caliber players at this point but if either of them goes down the Jets will be in heavy turbulence and hoping that one of the backups comes through.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Come on, both players suffered greatly when Sparano brought the Mickey Mouse offense to town and made a strictly zone blocking guard - Slauson - play badly in a strictly man scheme. They both had to compensate for the shift in coverage and the really predictable crap the OC was calling.

Then they went back to mostly zone coverage with Marty, but the strictly zone guy they had between them was substituted for a clueless rookie.

Add to that, Mangold once again had to call blocking coverage for the entire line and keep his head up until the last second, then when his head went down and defenses shifted, Geno had no idea what they were doing.

I think Nick and Brick are both far above average players, but the offensive line is a unit, and while I think an elite player at those positions could look better even with those limitations, they wouldn't look that much better when constantly switching offensive philosophies and teammates.

12. BrowningNagle

Does that have more to do with the quality or lack thereof of their backups than with them as players though?

13. BrowningNagle

While I think Mangold is a little overrated, I think Ferguson is underrated by Jets fans actually and that you are doing him a disservice here.

He is very solid in pass protection. You wish he could offer more in run blocking, but it has improved, and either way we are talking about a LT that has shown to be solid in pass pro against some of the top pass rushers in the league all while not missing a snap in 8 years. You can pencil him in as a consistent, solid LT. Most teams would kill for that.

14. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

The Jets need a proven #1 WR not pay a guy #1 money and hope. IMO I think Decker is the 2nd best wideout on Jets. I believe JK the best WR on this team right now.

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Doubt that.

Kerley is very talented but if you are going by body of work, which is all anyone has to go on, Decker is the best receiver on this roster. There's no question.

You can't make a claim like this with Decker never having played a snap on the Jets.

16. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

The reason I say that is because of the QB's they played with. Yes Decker played with Tebow for 14 games but JK never had a good QB yet.

17. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I still consider Mangold top 5. He may not be the best in the league anymore, but he's still up there. The Jets oline has been weak the last 2 years, it's not really his fault. Players don't usually get recognized unless the team wins, unfortunately.

18. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I guess my original point was...no one on the Jets is overrated....by anybody really. Hell, not even the fans overrate our own guys. For as much whining, griping & bitching Jets fans do most of us are pretty level headed when it comes to evaluating our own talent. Key word in that last statement was "most" of us. :rolleyes:

I can't say Mangold is overrated because, as a couple posters above mentioned, he really is considered only a very good center at this stage. Not elite. Same goes for Brick. Someone pointed out that you could have an argument for Decker being overrated.....but, then again, how do you overrate a guy who hasn't played a single regular season snap on the new offense/team? You really can't...that's the part of the crap shoot...Idzik is counting on Decker to step up and be the #1 with #1 numbers. Time will tell. So, then again...who do you put on this list. I really don't think you can find one. MAYBE Folk????

Prisco should have told his editors to pound sand and went on vacation instead of putting something out there in the National Media that makes him look even more stupid than he already does. Just throwing it out there...off season or slow time of the year or not...Prisco doesn't need to add any fuel to the fire on whether he's a competent journalist. ;)

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

it's the offseason, it gets people talking. he accomplished his goal.

mezzavo likes this.
  20. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Good point, Junc! he he heee o_O

nyjunc likes this.