ASOIAF: Game of Thrones Books (Contains SPOILERS!!)

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Jun 10, 2013.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I doubt they'll actually show it, it was only described after the fact in Feast when Thoros tells Brienne how LSH was resurrected, I doubt they'll show Beric again at this point.

2. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

I read it was just left out of the season and no mention if it will be in next season.

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Hmm maybe. I just feel like it was such a big moment, I would rather them leave it out or take the time to build it up through multiple episodes. I think I found it so good in the books I wanted it built up more before the reveal.

4. displacedfan

Yeah I'm really hoping GRRM releases the next book before next season starts. It would help big time in the idea that book readers could not be spoiled by the show.

5. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Read his blog, you wouldn't even know the guy is an author at this point. In the past even when he was making no progress on the series he would at least post about other shit he was "editing" like Wildcards(lol) or try to hawk re-issues of his older works. Now 9/10 posts are about the awful theatre he bought or some contractually obligated commercial for the HBO show where he closes off comments because he doesn't want people discussing the show on his blog.

6. abyzmul

Honestly I think the possibility of early stage Alzheimer's is likely at this point. Just two years ago I read that he had been consulting that Ran guy regular about timeline material, just to remember where he was in his outlines.

And if that's the case, the real shame is that a couple of semi talented TV people are going to take the basics of the end of his epic and turn it into a piece of trash.

7. 3rdAnd15Draw

The weird part to me is that he doesn't seem to care, or else the HBO money he's rolling in outweighs his caring. For a guy who is so vehemently anti fan fiction just the show and the changes they make have to bug him, never mind the fact that we're now at the point where the show is almost certainly going to finish his story first(if he finishes it at all). I think if the show was ever going to light a fire under his ass it would've happened a few years ago, once the show passes the books and becomes the "primary" source material the books are going to become less and less relevant. His publishers have to be pretty pissed at this point.

8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I don't get his lack of dedication to finishing the series either. It's obviously his main source of income, if he's writing for people to enjoy his work they are literally begging him to finish this series so he's got that, he knows at this rate the show is either going to surpass him or require a hiatus for him to finish. I just don't get why he doesn't hurry the hell up and finish. It took him 6 years between Feast and Dance and it's already been three years since Dance with no firm release date. I'm glad he's not just pumping out a book every year to cash in on crappy work but at some point I think he's gone to the other extreme. Especially if he's already told people involved with the show how major story arcs are going to play out...if you already know what you intend to do just write the damn books to get us there!

9. abyzmul

#329 abyzmul, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  10. abyzmul

11. 3rdAnd15Draw

This made me laugh more than it should, everything about it is awful, the cameraman doesn't even get the pitch, the announcer can't speak correctly and of course the shot put of a throw.

12. abyzmul

I felt like I was watching a clip from the 70s there.

13. abyzmul

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/16/game-of-thrones-why-no-lady-stoneheart/

14. 3rdAnd15Draw

I kind of agree, if all they were going to have her do is kill a few Freys and Lannisters what's the point. Given how different the Brienne and rumored Jaime storylines are from the books it's unlikely they'd need her for that part either. Also if she's not really important to the overall story they may want to save the resurrection WTF moment for Jon Snow for a bigger impact.

15. abyzmul

Bored out of my skull waiting for a server to finish testing, so I'll throw this interesting bit in here from Westeros.org regarding a poster who finds some parallels with Beowulf:

16. abyzmul

And another interesting one:

17. abyzmul

After reading a couple of posts in that forum, I'm kicking around a possible theme.

During the long summer, the powers of fire are dominant. Not infallible, but the Targaryans ruled much of it, and as the years of summer waned, the fire people lost much of their power in Westeros.

The ice people, the northers headed by the Starks, spent most of the long summer confined to the north, not messing in the affairs of men, even though they have a storied history dating back to the First Men.

During the books, magic awakens when Dany's dragons are born during what could be called a solstice, a change of seasons.

But use Melisandre as an example. She is almost unbeatable in the south during that solstice, and beginning of the long winter in the north, she is not even able to understand the visions she reads in the fires.

During this same time, Sansa is coming into power, Arya is learning to be a Faceless Man, Bran is learning from Bloodraven and Jon... well we don't know about Jon yet, but you can wonder about his revival, and we don't know his origin.

And Dany is up to this point becoming a very impotent leader, all the while during the perceived solstice she was basically wiping out anyone in her path.

Tell me I'm crazy. The seasons bear power.

#337 abyzmul, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  18. displacedfan

Hmmm I like it. Sounds pretty reasonable. Although Melisandre having trouble up North will be interesting for Jon Snow and what happened there.

I'm really curious how Dany's arc would play into this idea. You know, where can she go from here?

You could also say the solstice is "defending" or what kept Winterfell in that state of uneasiness and what not.

Now I have to go back and read the 4th and 5th books. Try to follow what happens in Winterfell more closely

19. 3rdAnd15Draw

This is one of my big problems with the series 5 books in, we know there's power in Westeros but where the fuck does it come from? R'hllor is supposedly a god but if that's the case why were his followers powerless until the dragons returned? How did the Seven become the dominant faith in Westeros and supplant the Old Gods when as far as I know they've never shown any power or agency in the world? Is there actually some "Great Other" directing the forces north of the wall and if so why do they want to come south of the wall anyway? Instead we're getting books of people wandering around looking for highborn maids of three and ten and page long descriptions of food consumed. We really have no idea of the true stakes of the series and we're supposedly nearing the end.

20. abyzmul

Yeah, I know what you mean. A lot of attention is paid to Weirwoods and the CoTF, I've always wondered if the Children were the ones behind the Others, using them to try to wipe men out of Westeros. Man started gaining strength against the CoTF when they started cutting down the Weirwoods in the south...

GRRM is too cute with his cryptic stuff and trying to outsmart the readers, possibly why he takes so fucking long to write.