Chicago’s Murder Rate After Illinois Upheld Concealed Carry (Early Results)

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Apr 4, 2014.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/04/126...law-chicago-murder-rate-plummets-immediately/

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Cold weather, really cold and snowy weather.

Think about it.

Chicago has just been through the winter from hell even by the standards of the Windy City. Most days at or below zero ever. Third highest snowfall.

3. 74

74 Well-Known Member

can't be, guns cause global warming. especially the concealed carry ones.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

People ususally kill each other in cold blood

; )

phubbadaman likes this.
  5. Br4d

The blood may be cold but the weather is usually hot. :)

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Is there any type of evidence to suggest that murder and violent crime goes down when it's really cold or is that just a random theory?

7. Br4d

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/...er-dip-isnt-just-because-of-cold-weather.html

Here's an interesting read on Chicago's amazing drop in homicides over the winter. Last winter in 2013 before the law you posted about went into effect.

I'm looking for one of the studies I saw earlier from the University of Chicago but having trouble finding it. It was published in the early 90's and I'm not sure it has made it on to the web yet.

The current studies that are easily accessible are all linking to the issue of global warming, which is kind of annoying because that's not what we're looking for.

Here's kind of the problem in a nutshell in terms of figuring out exactly what went on this winter:

So the new police chief puts 400 more uniforms on the street at night in 20 zones pre-identified as high violent crime areas. The implementation coincides with a slightly colder than average winter and a fifty plus year low in homicides is reported in February.

Fast forward to this winter and the weather is brutal. Are the extra officers still deployed given the drop in homicides last winter? Pretty likely in my opinion given that record low homicides is one of the big things the police are trying to prevent and it worked last year. Then it's brutally cold outside. Voila, new fifty plus year low in homicides.

The only factor that is unlikely to be involved is the carry law. However since it's a political issue that is burgeoning it's proponents are going to make every argument that it's the reason. Even if last year was good too and the police and mother nature are working together to make this year better.

#7 Br4d, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

http://www.freep.com/article/20140325/NEWS04/303250094/Syringe-Roseville-Home-Depot-gun

http://www.freep.com/article/20140326/NEWS01/303260024/

http://www.freep.com/article/20140306/NEWS01/303060121/Detroit-intruder-shot

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You post a story purportedly linking the drop in Chicago homicides to the liberalization of gun laws. A number of people respond questioning the cause and effect including information about an increased police presence. You post three irrelevant stories of civilians threatening or actually shooting and killing suspected perpetrators.

Are you just celebrating those deaths?

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Is that really what you took from that?

People being able to protect themselves and others from bad people with bad intentions is a good thing. The bullshit liberal media doesn't like to report when guns are used for protection. We only hear about it when some psycho loses their mind and goes berserk. There are many stories like this we never see on the news.

I posted it in here because the stories were from Detroit and I found it at least semi-relevant.

I happen to agree that at the very least it's too early to link the change in the concealed carry law to the lower murder rates and think good points were made.

11. Ralebird

I fail to find the slightest relevance to the New York Jets, even in the BS Forum, to non sports related events in Chicago or Detroit.

But since you brought us here today, perhaps you would care to comment on how the events of last week at Fort Hood interplay with the bolded section of your remarks.

12. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Did Detroit have their gun murder rate drop this winter?

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I was just about to say, wait for the warm weather and watch the numbers climb. The gangsters are still in hibernation.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Since when do bs topics have to have anything to do with the Jets?

As for fort hood a guy with known mental issues went in and shot unarmed men in a "gun free zone". I guess the signs specifying the gun free zone didn't work. * shrug *

15. Ralebird

But keeping the "guy with known mental issues" from buying that gun (from the same place that armed the doctor involved in the last Fort Hood shooting) somehow would be a problem for all those who think open carry solves more problems than it presents.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think most reasonable people think that mental health is the real issue and would love for that to be addressed.

This guy was a soldier. I'm pretty sure he had a state issued weapon. Are you suggesting that our soldiers shouldn't have weapons?

17. Ralebird

This shows you don't know how the military operates and don't know enough about the topic to comment.

Feel free to take your love of firearms to the nearest recruiting station.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Or feel free to tell me ... I don't know a lot about the military.

19. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Black people hate the cold.. Except for me.. I hate the summer and love the cold.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That almost makes two of us. I love the cold but I love to fish too. I just love being outside. :)

Jay Bizniss likes this.