2014 Jets Free Agency Tracker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

At least he isn't eating hot dogs on the sidelines!

It looks like we are going to have to draft another guard or sign an FA, then. Hoping for 5th and 6th rounders to step up, isn't really a good plan. I liked Colon, but he did get a lot of penalties. He was like an enforcer up front, though.

#401 Barcs, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-rest-of-the-NFL-shopping-season/

14. New York Jets

Estimated Cap Space: $23,328,583
    Likely Cuts: QB Mark Sanchez, RB Mike Goodson, WR Santonio Holmes, CB Antonio Cromartie
    Who They Should Keep: TE Jeff Cumberland
    Who They Should Sign: QB Josh McCown, WR Eric Decker, WR Dexter McCluster, TE Garrett Graham, T Michael Oher, LB Anthony Spencer, CB Tarell Brown

Start with the cap figure; the estimated cap space above doesn’t include those four likely cuts, which would give the Jets more than $50 million in cap space and leave them as major players in the free-agent marketplace. That’s good, too, because their offensive cupboard is almost totally bare, and they have no pass-rusher of note on the outside. That leads to a rebuilding project: Decker is a dangerous proposition, and it’s hard to imagine a bigger drop in quarterback quality from Peyton Manning to Geno Smith, but he should be an above-average no. 2 receiver at worst, and that would be a huge upgrade for the Jets. McCluster is a viable slot option, and Graham offers a pair of soft hands. McCown would be a suitable backup quarterback capable of filling in for an extended stretch if the Jets were to decide Smith wasn’t their quarterback of the future. Oher would solidify the right side of the line, Spencer adds a pass-rusher with some upside in his more familiar role as a 3-4 outside linebacker, and Brown’s a solid second corner who would take some of the pressure off Dee Milliner.

I personally don't want Decker as i think the contract is going to be way too much and alot of his production was due to the QB and having multiple other receiving options on the team. I also think resigning Austin would be better than spending the money on Oher. The other moves I wouldn't have a problem with as they do address alot of holes in the currently constructed roster and give the team more flexibility going into the draft. Thoughts?

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Allow me to be first to use the term McClusterfuck. I pass no judgement today on the viability of this acquisition or the projected abilities of the man, but if the Jets get beyond the website of some self proclaimed expert and actually get to serious consideration, the term will be used. And why not?

4. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Tate replaces McCluster and Decker on that list as a receiver and return guy.

5. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Tate is no where near explosive as McCluster is...

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Michael Oher? Absolutely not, rather have Austin Howard. I think Howard is now the better player.

7. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

HB Darren Sproles has just been released from New Orleans via Ian Rappaport on twitter.

8. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

What's the cap hit\savings if we cut Goodson and pursue Sproles? Obvously we don't need both.

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Wow sign Sproles if true,

10. Geno Da Meano_

Geno Da Meano_ Active Member

If true they cut Goodson and sign him up... Rappaport also said Pierre Thomas could be in danger of being cut as well... Could try for one of the two...

#410 Geno Da Meano_, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  11. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Darren Sproles is getting cut by New Orleans. Id really love to see him on the Jets

12. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

He is about to turn 31.
    That enough to change your mind?

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Ben Volin ‏@BenVolin 3h
    I'm told that TE Jermichael Finley, still not medically cleared, has drawn interest from the Jets, Chiefs, Seahawks, Giants and Steelers

14. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

not at all

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

If he can come back healthy and strong, he would be fun to have.

16. NewYorkEveryThing

We need not do what miami did last season and go all out signing players just to sell tickets. Our team needs to approach this FA season like a contender does. We cannot sign Sanders as much as I like the guy, He is far overpriced and is in his prime right now. We need talent that will last 5-10 yrs when you spend that type of $. I hope Idzik seen what miami did with wallace not even being a factor half the time. sanders is small and wants at least 3 guaranteed years. These Pitt WR's get very overhyped and are not worth the $. We already did this with Holmes. I just am shaky about putting big bucks into WR's .Anyone else feel Sanders is not our answer??? We need O Lineman bad cause Geno would do a 5 step drop and on the 3rd step he had a DE in his face!

17. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't think any team is going to give him 8, 9 million a year though. I also think that upgrading the Guard position is being overlooked, but don't think Sanders is demanding the sky either. I'd still take him for about 4 million a year, if he would be ok with that. Otherwise, yeah I'll pass too.

And also, don't say we "already did that" with Holmes. We got him for a frickin 5th round pick. We gave him a bad contract, but we got him for a great deal in the first place.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I agree. We are clearly in some kind of re-building mode that may take 3-4 years to complete.

The guys we should be getting early on are the awesome 10yr trench guys (Fanaca, Mawia types) who will still be here.

Without even a QB in place we'd be crazy to start dropping $10M/yr on a wideout or a scatback at the end of his career. Build a solid team from the trenches out, then drop in a few stars at the end to bring home the bacon.

19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

What if we signed Nicks and Sanders. Then we could focus on trying to get Ebron on draft day and picking up a WR with our 2nd rd pick. Yall think Nicks will be looking for big money in FA or would he be looking at a Show N Prove type year?

20. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Sanders best year: 740 yards
    Nicks best year: 1192 yards
    Nicks worst year: 692 yards

Nicks or Sanders, Nicks. No question, no debate. Unless Sanders is immensely cheaper, I am signing Hakeem Nicks.