RC Fischer: Geno is a fraud

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 74, Oct 30, 2013.

1. 74

74 Well-Known Member

pasted below from the game recap. Hope he's dead wrong about the long-term outcome but some points in there, at least areas to look for improvement in as the season goes along...

-----

I’m not sure why any of you are fighting me on this Geno Smith (20-39 for 159 yards, 0 TD/2 INT) thing. He is a bad NFL QB. I see what Smith is doing quite clearly, and watching him with David Nelson (8 rec. for 80 yards on 12 targets) and Jeff Cumberland (1 rec. for 9 yards on 2 targets) only confirms things to my eyes. Fraudulent NFL QBs can exist the way Geno is right now—I think he is petrified in the pocket, and wants the ball out of his hands ASAP…like a Matt Leinart or Blaine Gabbert. The way you can “get by” in the NFL with that issue, and have some success for a game here and there, is to identify your tallest WR/TE, and no matter what happens, pre-snap, you know you are going to him. If you throw it high enough, most times either the WR/TE will make a great leaping catch or the ball sails incomplete. Either outcome is great for the QB—you are a genius if the catch is made, and no INT humiliation if not. In fact, you are seen as a QB “who is not afraid to go deep.” However, the QBs internal fear is actually at the core of it. What Geno Smith doesn’t do well is sit in the pocket, make three reads, and pick the best one under duress…or look off safeties, or make a bunch of play changes at the line of scrimmage. He is making a living on one/no read plays–quick slants, dump passes, and deep balls. He avoids the middle or quick timing sideline outs—when he does throw into his personal no-man’s land…that’s where the pick sixes start mount up.

This strategy of Geno’s will work on and off, but as we get enough data results, we will all look back and judge him a fraud. Right now, he’s a rookie, so analysts will fill the air with “he’s a kid” and “he just needs to gain more experience.” He is a fraud, and it will take two years before anyone admits it. So anytime Geno has a plausible game, spare me your emails—just copy and paste this response, and send it to yourself, and we’re cool:

…You are wrong. What you see in Geno this week is a hoax, perpetrated by fawning announcers pushing a hype bubble because that’s what they are paid to do. Do not believe this hype. Please email me back in 9-12 months and admit I was right all along.

#1 74, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. AnyGivenSunday

AnyGivenSunday Active Member

then why is Kerley second on the team with 41 targets?

3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

So...you are accusing him of throwing to the open receivers (Our most physical WR and our TE who is faster than the LBs who cover him) and flowing with the system the MM runs?

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

How does he explain those games when Kerley was feasting with those short intermediate passes?

5. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

Not that Geno's performance was good, but he was 20/30, not 20/39. He could at least get his statline right.

And I don't really care what he says. If he's right, he's right. If he's wrong, he's wrong. At this point there's not much we can do. Hopefully by the end of the season and around draft time, we have a much clearer picture.

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Total bullshit.
    The kid has good accuracy with his passes and I've seen him make some good reads getting the ball to his 2nd and 3rd options.

He needs to work on stepping up in the pocket instead of always drifting backwards and yes he needs to see defenses better, but the upside for Geno is a pretty high ceiling imo.

Fuck this clown.

7. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

honest question who is RC Fisher? He does have some points i think Geno should read that and shut this man up one day.

8. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

He won't they go against his argument.

It seems like he's only focusing on "Bad Geno" and ignoring "Good Geno." After Geno does well, he just says wait until next week. When Geno does badly, he says he was right all along.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He just accused Geno of being a rookie QB. A sentiment with which I totally agree.

Peyton Manning's description of his rookie year went something like this: "when I went up to the line I just hoped Marvin (Harrison) would be open because I knew I wasn't going to get time to make a second read most of the time."

That's an honest rookie.

10. 74

74 Well-Known Member

That's pretty much how I feel as well. Just hope we make the right decision at seasons end, whatever it happens to be.

11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Because he is a tall physical receiver?

:up:

12. Br4d

He's huge. Geno goes up to the line every snap thinking: " I just hope Kerley is open because I know I'm not going to get to my second read."

Right...

13. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

Who the fuck is RC Fischer?

14. Br4d

Somebody that Mangolden Showers has a crush on?

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Geno not wanting to hold onto the ball isn't his problem. The guy is simply trolling for attention and is a dumbass to boot.

16. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

I think it was the NE game where Geno constantly stepped up into the pocket. He can do it, just not enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Br4d

And BTW, Geno has worked with 5 starting WR's so far and not one of them has been available for every game. What kind of idiot analyst tries to make sense of a rookie QB's targeting preferences when his receivers are swapping around every few games due to injury or incompetence?

18. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

This is pure silliness. Geno is constantly scanning the field, maybe too long, looking for an open man. And he's clearly taken his hits.

If he thinks Geno is trying to get the ball out of his hands ASAP because he thinks he's scared he's dead wrong.

My biggest criticism of Geno is not getting the ball out fast enough, but that's a rookie thing. When the game slows down for him he's going to start getting the ball out so much quicker and throwing guys open rather than waiting for them to get open.

Btw, when did Nelson start playing? Week 5?

This is just plain stupid.

_

19. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Who is this guy? He's completely wrong.

As someone pointed out already, Kerley is second on the team with 41 targets. He wants to throw to tall people? Besides Kerley, Holmes and Gates are injured.

He's afraid to hold onto the ball? His one biggest flaw during the first quarter of the season was holding onto the ball too long and taking sacks.

He's not going through his reads? I see Geno looking off safeties, he's improving on not staring down receivers. The pick-6 to Pacman, he went through almost all his reads, only missing Powell running a wheel route to the right, and just made a rookie mistake throwing outside into a zone defense with the cb playing the flat.

Again, who is this dumbass and why does he deserve his own thread?

20. 74

74 Well-Known Member

calm down man. just some metrics guy who's blog I read sometimes. wanted to hear the response to this type of anti Geno argument from you guys.