Pitmasters - What's on the menu?

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yeah, I'll be working my new smoker grill. I got the Oklahoma Joe offset smoker from Lowes and I gotta tellya, it's one mean piece of smokin equipment. Last weekend, I did a whole brisket with Oak chunks and it was fantastic! So much so that I didn't give away any of it. Not one piece! :)

Anyway, tomorrow I got two 1.5lb Ribeyes that I plan to grill for me and Mrs. C. I also have 3 racks of KC trimmed spare ribs skinned, rubbed, and ready for a good smoke. I plan on going with a 2-2-1 smoke. For those that aren't familiar with what that is: 2 hours uncovered, 2 hours covered with foil and additional flavor, 1 hr uncovers with BBQ sauce. I still want some pull to the rib instead of having it fall off the bone. A 3-2-1 will leave you with fall off the bone ribs. Now with that, I'm gonna throw on a smallish section of pork tenderloin just to see what I can do with it. Throw in some Amish potato and macaroni salad and I'm good to go.

I was VERY tempted to smoke a small (15lb) turkey this weekend but the fear of the wrath of wifey kinda killed that dream. She realizes she created a monster with that electric smoker she got me for Xmas. :lol:

So, that's my plan. Some smoking, some sippin on Maker's Mark 46, and a day of relaxation. Actually, that's the plan for the weekend too.. LOL

Feel free to chime in boyz. I know some of you out there are backyard PitMasters so, Sound Off!

#1 Cman68, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
    TNJet likes this.
  2. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Beer...and lots of it :beer:

but I work tomorrow night so... :smile:

Either way, you started this thread and if there are no pix, I'm locking it! lol

3. Cman68

Go make dat money brah! :beer:

4. Cman68

I ain't cooked it yet. Sheesh.. Tellya what. I'll definetly will have some hi-res pics of the product when it comes off the smoker tomorrow. :beer:

#4 Cman68, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Cajun butter lime shrimp skewers, bacon wrapped ribs and pork tenderloin stuffed with goat cheese and Swiss chard.

And beer, too.

6. Cman68

Nice! :up:

7. abyzmul

Ever since I found this site, people think I know something about barbeque. Living in Texas, that is saying something.

https://grillinfools.com/

For the past couple of cookout holidays, I just pick out a couple of things on their front page and hook it up.

It helps that my wife bought me a TEC Sterling G3000 for Christmas, though. Red technology is the way to go.

8. Cman68

Pellet? Stick burner?

9. abyzmul

Infrared. I will never buy another kind of grill unless they make a better one.

Indirect heat is the best way to get amazing results. You can smoke with it, too.

10. Cman68

Here are today's meats for the smoker:

[​IMG]

From left to right: 3 KC style spare ribs; 2 1.5lb bone in Ribeyes; 2 skirt cut pork filets.

#10 Cman68, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  11. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Im boiling up a 6-pack of frank-n-stuff hot dogs. Now THAT my firends, is good eatin

12. Cman68

The smokin is done.

Here's what I wound up with today:

Steak Plate:

[​IMG]

My BBQ Pitmasters submission:

[​IMG]

My KC Masterpieces :)

[​IMG]

Hope everyone is having a great 4th of July!

#12 Cman68, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  13. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Just out of curiousity what BBQ sauce do you guys use?

I'm a fan of Stubb's which I always use in my pulled pork.

14. Usica

Usica New Member

Oh man, I am envious of the smoker. How'd the food turn out? We did hotdogs which is fairly typical for the 4th. Would have loved to have ribs though! Anyone else like a nice dry rub?

15. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

beef short ribs on my weber smokey mountain.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Barry the Baptist

Oh man.... that looks incredible. Nice job

17. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

thanks man. came out better than i expected. i normally do pork spare ribs, brisket or pork shoulder but saw these at the local restaurant depot and just had to try them. if you've ever had the oklahoma rib at daisy may's on the west side, you'd know what i'm talking about.

unlike the typical "low and slow", i use high heat these days on pretty much anything but pork ribs. originally read about the method on the virtual weber bullet forum, and found out myron mixon popularized the method.
    basically smoke for 2-3 hours, wrap in foil for the the next 2 hours or so, then unwrap and put back on the smoker for another 15-30 min to firm it up a bit because the meat gets so tender it about falls apart like a big piece of jello after the foil/braising phase. came out better than i could've hoped.

i can't recommend the weber smokey mountain any more highly for people who are into smoking.

18. Barry the Baptist

Me and my buddy usually do the big cookout on Memorial Day, we do a brisket, and ribs and this year because his girlfriend doesn't eat beef we tried salmon. We use a combo of hickory, applewood and mesquite but slow cook the brisket for about 10 hours. We're up nice and early and start drinking nice and early. The ribs about 4 or 5 hours each as his smoker can only do the brisket and one rack of ribs at a time. We change out the wood quite frequently but we also use a vinager based spray.

I think next year I want to use some oak and pecan wood to mix things up. With my ribs I use brown sugar, salt, chili powder and cayenne among other spices but I also use Old Bay in my rub.

What I'd really like to do if I ever had the time and money is to learn to cure the meats like they do in Spain. I was in Barcelona last year and the leg of wild boar is absolutely amazing. I love that smokey cured ham... they have stores that sell small little packages of it fresh off the bone on the little side streets.

19. Barry the Baptist

Edit: Double Post

20. Cman68

I use "3 Little Pigs". Its a Kansas City style rub. Very tastey with a little bite to it.

The WSM is a great smoker. I use a "stick burner". Kinda like driving a manual transmission. I have an electric smoker as well that I use for overnight smokes. I do love my Oklahoma Joe stick burner. :beer:

So far, everything looks great!

Nice Job TGG Pitmasters.... :beer::beer:

#20 Cman68, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013