The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Winter is just about over. You guys all know I'm big on the fishing front and given the responses over the last few years, I figured it might not be a bad thing to start a fishing thread. It's early. I get it. But if you're anything like me, you're probably looking at the rods, checking the tacklebox and wishing for the winter weather to finally give way to Spring.

Feel free to post pics too. I'm hoping to make this thread a spring/summer/fall staple here at TGG.com. I know a lot of you guys do fish so if you have the time, drop a line or two. Share some of that knowledge. (No, not your secret spots..)

Here's to a great 2013 Fishing Season!

Fish ON !!!

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I've barely been fishing at all this winter. A couple inshore days with a friend (that mostly resulted in crushing beers not fish)...... Fuel $ has been too much for me to join the chase of the wahoo & Tuna offshore, and nearshore bottom fish closures almost make it not worth it (snapper, grouper & Seabass) :sad:

Need to make some time for inshore slayin, but working 6 days a week hasn't helped either.......

Once the knee gets fixed I'll make an effort to get back at it....... waitin for those cobia :)

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

toughest SOB I ever saw.

4. highflyer

highflyer Active Member

Haven't been fishing for a few months now which is very disappointing. We usually go spearing, but there has been a lot of sharks around lately and noone has had the time to go travelling. Last time we went we caught a nice Wobbegong about 15kms off the coast but not before it took a bite out of my friends arm, nothing too bad just a few puncture wounds. It's the end of summer here now though (although it's not like we have cold winters, so not really a problem) so it will probably be awhile before I go again.

Anyone else spear? Or mostly rod? I am pretty useless with a rod.

5. Cman68

Damn, You're down under and you don't use a rod? I gotta agree with Dierking. You're one hardcore SOB! I keep my edible ass out of the water if at all possible..:rofl:

6. Cman68

Not to rub it in, but the Belmar Boats are already going out for Stripers. They started last friday although I think TS Virgil probably hurt their efforts. I think its still too early and I'm targeting perhaps 2nd or 3rd week in April for my first trip. If we can get perhaps 2 warm weeks in a row, things should start to kick off.

Same thing for freshwater too. I'm waiting for spawn but I need 60deg air temps for several weeks. So far, that damn groundhog has been wrong about everything.. :mad:

7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

My Bro is a BIG TIME fisher dude... He's a Pats fan though so yea, won't work lol

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

hey stink, i used to kill the speckled trout in the little creek over by the mission where the big cross is. also had some good luck with sheepshead this time of year under the bridge.
    that was always my honey hole when i lived in jax

9. Cman68

Hell, on the Belmar boats you nevah kno who you're fishin with. At that point, it really doesn't matter. If your bro is down Belmar way, maybe we'll hook up one of these many weekends ahead!

Fish On!

10. stinkyB

HA! nice........ yeah, have fished there a bunch. Those oyster bars hold fish :beer:

11. Cman68

So far a very slow start to striper season. Water still in the upper 30's. Maybe we can get Jay to help us out with a warm front or two.. :)

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

at least you are getting out cman, family stuff kept me from fishing the trout opener monday. fishing is nowon hold till sunday. forecast looks good though, just hope they left some stockies for me.

13. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Recent troll from O`ahu to North Moloka`i got us mostly Mahi Mahi (Dolphin fish) and a couple small shibi's (young yellowfin)

[​IMG]

Common sight during Whale season here in Hawai`i

[​IMG]

Cman68 likes this.
  14. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I heard some dude got jacked up off Kanapali yesterday... from what I can recall shark attacks in Hawaii are pretty rare.

Seriously though that Opa is some good eatin

Hey C I know you are a salt water guy but did you happen to catch that vid of the guy who caught the largemouth bass in Texas that had another largemouth about the same size caught in it's mouth. Guy caught two fish with one shot... it was catch and release though.

Cman68 likes this.
  15. stinkyB

Shoots cuz...... those are some nice dolphin... err Mahi! :wink:
    are those really lil yellowfin? look like bonitio...... throw em back and let em grow into ahi.

unfortunately with the price of gas, I don't get to troll much anymore (we have to run out 40+ miles to get the mahi and Wahoo (ONO) used to do it all the time though..... never caught a yellowfin though (only small blackfin)

my best Mahi & Ono:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my buddy out there used to run out to the N. Shore sea buoys and troll off his waverunner...... even had custome rod holders put on, and kept a fishbag on the tow sled. He's a nut. Sold that stuff when the kids came into the picture

#15 stinkyB, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  16. stinkyB

A friend of mine's biggest grouper came when it ate a seabass he caught.... pulled up a 35lb Warsaw with a seabass in his mouth. good thing for big circle hooks

17. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I'm a big fan of shark so occasionally I'll watch some vids with them attacking prey and there are some bad ass fucking vids on youtube with them just smashing fish especially marlin and tuna caught on a line

This is a pretty good one

[youtube]ksHnYMRSRzA[/youtube]

Beautiful fish jumping out of the ocean off the coast of Australia only to get ripped apart.

[youtube]itvjYohS55w[/youtube]

18. stinkyB

phuck, that had to have been a big shark..... :eek:hmy:

I've had them eat tuna off my line before..... wasn't too happy at the time.

Since you're a fan of sharks I'm sure you've seen the ocearch.com website..... they're on Shark week, and were here in JAX a few weeks ago looking for Great Whites that they think follow the Right Whale migrations..... my friends got to go on the boat when they saw a 20fter right off the beach. :eek:hmy:

The day or 2 after they tagged "Julia"

19. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Dinner.

[​IMG]

20. Cman68

No I didn't B. By some chance, is there a youtube vid on it? I do fish sweetwater as well but they don't really stock the lakes here in PA as much as they should with fish other than trout.