Could the Jets be a good team in 2013?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Feb 8, 2013.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Think about it. Everyone on here is all gloom and doom, rebuild and try to compete by 2015, but when you look at it, the Jets could be good next season.

They were (6-10) with a terrible coaching staff, bad roster, and poor GM in 2012..

Now they are going to free up cap space by cutting dead weight like Bart Scott, Jason Smith and Calvin Pace. Also likely releasing or trading Tim Tebow (Huge distraction), letting Dustin Keller (who rarely played) and Shonn Greene (average RB) go, and hopefully replacing them with young, hungry players.

It looks like Powell, McKnight, Holmes, Kerley and Hill are the current skill position players, which is not great, so hopefully they can add to that.

Quarterback is still a question mark, but even if Sanchez starts, it is highly unlikely he will be as bad as he was in 2012.

The defense will still be solid, even if they lose Landry to Free Agency and trade away Revis, but if they keep Revis it will obviously be even better.

Special Teams was terrible in 2012, hard to be worse than that in 2013. I mean the Jets were a disaster last year. They will improve, even on Special Teams without Mike Westhoff.

I don't know what free agents or draft picks the team will add, but I am sure they will be welcome additions and improvements to a bad 2012 roster.

Also, some of the young guys like Wilkerson, Coples, Hill, Kerley, Davis, will only get better with experience.

Obviously the team has a lot of questions, but I think it is not unreasonable to believe this team will be able to compete in 2013. Thoughts?

2. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

I agree. There are talks of jets drafting Nassib from Cuse in the first after trading back. If nothing else, it would be nice to see a bright new future (hopefully).

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

There's a lot of variables that are unkown right now. The first being what happens once Free Agency begins March 12th. The second is the draft. Once those two phases are complete then I think we'll be able to make a fair assessment as to what this team's record will be next year. However until then, I don't think anyone can truly gauge this team's success next year as the personnel on this roster will look extremely different.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Any team can be only a year away from being a playoff team in this league. We need a great offseason but it can happen.

5. NFL

NFL Active Member

The team could be competitive next year. I think (and hope) that Marty fixes Mark up a bit and he can be productive.

It all comes down to those two and the draft. I believe that if we get a good RB, and Hill gets better over the offseason that we can be competitive.

#5 NFL, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

If that happens we can be a very good team, they have a lot of work to reprogram him but if they can do it in one offseason the way SF did w/ Alex Smith in offseason(they didn't even really have an offseason b/c of the lockout) we can be pretty good. I wouldn't bet on it but it does give us some hope.

7. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

If we start Saint Chez, we will not be competitive.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We have to be damn near perfect on draft day for this to happen. Certain players need to step up (Coples, Davis, S.Hill, Joe McKnight, Urgh Sanchez). It's a lot to ask for, but we could be a good team.

9. NFL

NFL Active Member

Who should they start?

10. NFL

NFL Active Member

I have hope that Mark will excel in this new system.

11. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I agree with almost everything the OP said except that special teams could definitely get worse with Westhoff gone and the possibility of the same or worse depth. Eric Smith was a great ST'er also, right?

12. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

These are 2 key points and I don't know what you are making your conclusions on. How do you know Sanchez won't be as bad? What about losing Landry and trading Revis means out defense will still be at the level it has been?

I'm not even suggesting you are wrong, I'm just curious for more detail on why you say that.

13. NFL

NFL Active Member

Yeah he was. Special teams could get worse.

Jets should bring in an undrafted kicker and that YouTube guy maybe to give Folk competition .. I don't like him too much

14. NFL

NFL Active Member

I agree with you.. I don't see how our defense is top 10 again when where losing Landry, Bell, and maybe Revis. Plus 3 new OLBs. I have faith in Rex but it will be tough.

And I think that Sanchez just needs some confidence. He looked like a scared little girl on and off the field. If he regains some confidence I have little doubt that he has a better year.

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yes this could be a good team next year. The defense kept us in plenty of games that our offense lost with turnovers. If whoever starts at QB lessens the turnovers, we stay relatively healthy, and we catch a couple breaks we could go 10-6. Now would the team be good or opportunistic, doesn't really matter, but it keys on the offense not throwing away the game time and time again

16. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I sincerely hope that you're right and that our team doesn't reach on any QB in this draft.

17. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It is too early to tell.

I want to see them add a QB, a playmaker at RB or WR, a playmaker at LB, a playmaker at TE, and significant depth.

I don't know if they can accomplish all that in one offseason where they will be penny pinching.

Also, unless they can somehow magically pull off a full offensive rebuild in one offseason, I wouldn't risk starting a rookie QB with next years roster.

#17 xxedge72x, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Hey, the Colts were also supposed to be a team that would be rebuilding for a couple seasons...

There's definitely some talent on this team... But I think the team's success is more dependent on some of the young guys stepping up into bigger roles. Guys like Stephen Hill, Vlad Duccassee, Kenrick Ellis, Demario Davis, Garrette McIntyre and a young safety (Allen or Bush) come to mind..

Oh, and this draft class would need to be a good one.

19. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Let me know when the Jets draft a QB the caliber of Luck

20. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

I hope we are competitve next season. Every year you wait all offseason to only watch 16 games of regular season football.