The Heresy of trading Revis.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1968jetsfan, Nov 28, 2012.

?

What do you think Revis could bring in trade?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2013.
  1. Top 10

36.8%
  2. Top 20

34.2%
  3. Top 32

10.5%
  4. 2nd rounder

2.6%
  5. 2nd rounder with Conditional

7.9%
  6. 3rd rounder with Conditional

2.6%
  7. Other

5.3%
  1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Again if wrong area please move it.

Given that Revis can opt out after the 2013 season and personally I think he'll want to leave this train wreck, or hold us for ransom...I know if I were him I would.

So here's my question. If you could trade Revis for at least the value that Palmer got, a 1st this year and a conditional 1st in the next, would you pull the trigger? Corners are one of the most valuable assets in todays game and Revis is second to none.

Obviously if you think this team is a contender next year you don't pull the trigger. I personally don't think so and personally think we'll lose Revis either way so might as well get something for him.

This is not a good year, IMHO for 1st round picks, and I'm not sure what 2014 looks like this far in advance for the first round. So personally I'd try and get a first and second in 2013 with a conditional 2nd going to the team we trade with so that if Revis either opts out or doesn't resign with the team they get our 2014 2nd round pick. But in reality and trade involving Revis and getting worthwhile value would require Revis restructuring as part of the deal. The question is would Revis restructure? would he resturcture in a way that allowed us to get real value in a trade?

What is Revis's real value? Assuming he's healthy of course, and ACL isnt' a bad injury and with modern surgery they can come back stronger than they were before, case in point some RB in Minnesota ;). MCL on the other hand would have killed his trade value.

Of course where a team is drafting has a lot to do with his value as well. You'd get more picks probably by trading to a lower drafting team, but you'd get a higher quality pick trading with someone at the top of the draft. Then you have to figure in the cap hit for trading Revis.

But, and this is why I chose the draft section to put this.

Potentially you could get a first and second round pick, with the right team, for Revis. An interesting choice might be the Rams. They have two first round picks in the 2013 draft. Maybe approach them for one of their firsts and their second. That would net us, potentially, 2 firsts and two seconds and if we played our cards correctly we might be able to parlay that in to 2 late round firsts and pick up at least a 2nd and a third, maybe two seconds depending on situation.

Potentially we could parlay that all to 2 mid to late firsts and 4 seconds, or 2 mid to late first 3 2nds and 2 3rds. considering how deep the middle of this draft is, and the number of holes that we have and our limited cap space, this might be the ideal method of making ourselves competitive if not in 2013 at least in 2014.

So assuming 2 firsts, 3 2nds and 2 3rds.

Try to stay above pick 20 with one of the firsts.

and draft something like this.

1a Chance Warwick OG
    1b Alex Okafor if available or Chase Thomas. I've seen a number of mocks with Okafor going in the bottom 12 of the first.
    2a whoever is left on the board of Eric Fisher, Jonathan Cooper, Larry Warford or Dallas Thomas (pretty much in that order)
    2b my developmental QB Tyler Bray (he's got some flaws but I really like his pluses and his biggest flaw is footwork and that can be coached.)
    2c Shane Skov or Sean Porter
    3a whoever is left at the time between Stephen Taylor (probably gone) Mike Gillislee, or Christine Michael. If those are all gone then go with best of Dallas Thomas, DJ fluker, or Oday Aboushi at Tackle.
    3b If a RB was taken in 3A then take the best remaing tackle form 3A. if those are gone go with best available of Kenny Stills, Da'rick Rogers, Steadman Bailey, or Jordan Matthews WR.
    4 if Desmond Trufant (unlikely), Bildi Wreh-Wilson are available take them, if not and WR was not taken in 3b take the best WR otherwise draft Mister Cobble or Abry Jones (latter is unlikely to still be there)
    5 take best of Bacarri Rambo or Dj Swearinger
    6 Lutzenkirchen
    7 take the most highly rated player before the draft that has fallen to this point, ala Burfict last year. Most 7th rounders don't stick anyways so it's a low risk very high reward proposition.

There are a couple options and could net us a third or second rounder, but the cost would be too high for what we'd get in return.

Just an idea and thought process. Of course it would all depend on having willing trade partners and such.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Trading Darrelle Revis is one of the few things that could brighten the Jets prospects in the short term. This assuming that the Jets were able to get a high pick or two back for him.

What the Jets need to do to be a top team in the NFL is to get the offense on track. The defense is important but teams don't win Super Bowls with their defenses, outside of the pass rush, at this point. Teams win Super Bowls with a strong offense and then enough pressure to put the opposing offense on its heels when the game gets tight.

You need both. A cornerback supplies neither. That's why a great cornerback contributes about as much to a Super Bowl winner as a great kicker.

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

If we could potentially turn Revis into Anthony Barr and Jawan Jamison, I would easily do it. Or even Chance Warmack and Jawan Jamison...

A ton of people hate the idea of trading Revis, but this team needs to restock big time and we need as many picks as possible. I truly believe we are not only a few pieces away from being a contender...

I brought up trading Revis last year, and many didnt like the idea. I mean, whats the point of having Revis stay if we are just going to continue to be shitty-mediocre team? Just so he can retire a Jet? Whats the point...

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Would the rams trade for Revis? Hey currently have finnegan and first round pick Jenkins playing corner. They are not a player or two away as well as us. This deal makes little to no sense from their side.

If you want to work on this type of deal it would have to make sense for both teams. You need a contender, with cap room, that needs a corner to solidify their D.

5. 1968jetsfan

You'll notice I just said the Rams were an interesting possibility, not necessarily the team of choice however. I don't even know what their salary cap situation is for 2013 so it was just a passing thought as a team that had multiple first round picks that might be more open, but yes I hadn't taken in to consideration value to that specific team, or any other. Just the concept.

6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

the Rams don't need Revis. Jenkins is a top corner in my eyes already and Finnegan is having a good year.

me personally, I am against trading Revis. it may just be bias because he's my favorite player in the NFL and so happens to be on my team. but he is the heart of our defense right now, and you simply do not trade away a player like Revis.

teams may also be skeptical working on a deal with his ACL injury.

7. 1968jetsfan

Agreed, that's why I on my possible pick suggestions beefing up the O-Line and adding a RB, while at the same time sprucing up the Defense and drafting an WR in the lower rounds. As well as drafting a developmental QB.

8. 1968jetsfan

I can understand not wanting your favorite player traded away. But you have to ask what value is present compared to your value down the road.
    Personally I don't think the ACL will effect much, players are showing little ill effect if the only damage was the ACL, it's when the MCL is involed that problems turn. Of course the ACL is more concerning for Linemen because of the constant leverage going on.

But What has to be considered with Revis is would he want to stay with a team that's clearly going in to rebuilding mode. He has an opt out in 2014 that prohibits us from either franchising him or putting a 1st rund tender on him, in effect meaning if he chooses not to resign with the jets in 2014, and trust me he will opt out after 2013, we get nothing.

So you have to ask yourself, is one season of losing worth keeping Revis for one year? I mean the team is going to lose either way most likely next year. To many holes and not enough money. So is it better to keep him in a losing season and lose him for nothing in 2014, or trade him and get value going in to 2013?

And trust me, Revis is far and away my favorite Jet.

9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

you dont trade you're best player and the best defender in the NFL thinking you get better besides the team we trade him to would want him to sign an extension since he can just walk from them anyway. I could see him going home to Pitt maybe out to Washington where the money is or even Chicago. It all depends on what that team is willing to give up and if he wants to go there

10. 1968jetsfan

You don't trade your best player if you believe your going to be competitive during the time he's still the best, and you don't trade him if you believe you can keep him. But Revis has a little bad blood with the front office in that he believes there was an agreement to lock him in long term and that the current contract was supposed to be a short term bandaide.

Given that and the fact he's going to be looking for someplace he can get a ring and it makes a difference. In short, it all depends on whether you think you can really keep him, or if your just deluding yourself in to thinking you can keep him. Of course one never really knows the answer to that question until it's a matter of hindsight.

11. 1968jetsfan

Additionally, one Corner doesn't make a or break a team. There's only one position that can potentially make or break a team, QB. A true franchise QB can lift a team that's below average, an elite Corner can only really make a good team better, but can't make a bad team good.

12. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

the front office has little to do with this if they're going to get axed which they should

Revis will age well as most corners do and we'll most likely after 2 reloading years we'd be back in contention

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This offseason would be a horrible time to trade Revis.

He's simply not going to get the value that he could/should in return, coming off this major knee injury. With the injury, and the fact the rest of the league would have the Jets by the balls, they aren't going to get an offer higher than a second round pick, and even that might be wishful thinking.

Also, you have to factor in that he's not going to be able to holdout from the Jets this offseason because of the injury, the only thing to do is to get him back and playing in 2013 for the Jets.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Jerry Jones. Dan Snyder. A bidding war between Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder.

There are reasons for hope.

I think the Jets could get a 1st and a 2nd for Revis in the right scenario at this point. That scenario would involve a 2013 2nd and a conditional 2014 1st based on the number of games Revis was not on IR next season.

If he went to the Cowboys that 1st could be very high with some luck.

Other teams that might get into the bidding war for him include Seattle and Tampa Bay.

15. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

I'm against trading him, he is by far the best player the Jets have had since Curtis Martin. But if resigning him means we are left without cap space to add more players to build the team, than trade him while his value is high.

And lol @ teams don't win Super Bowls with their defenses.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I really, really doubt that's a possibility. All NFL teams are going to look at him as expensive damaged goods - regardless if that's fair or not. (I don't think so)

They will look at the Jets struggles in his contract negotiation over the years and just figure the Jets are trying to unload him now that he's injured and try to take advantage and lowball them. If they can't lowball them they'll wait and see how he does returning from injury and wait for him to become a free agent. Why would they want to take on the Jets predicament when there's uncertainty about his health and they know soon he will be on the market either way.

Bottom line - the Jets have no strong bargaining chips, and we've all seen this across the NFL where good players get very little in return because of this phenomenon.

Also - the Redskins already mortgaged the future on RG 3, I don't think they have the draft pieces to get involved in a Revis conversation, and the Cowgirls already made their attempt at a Revis last year in the draft.

I wouldn't take a 2013 2nd RND with 2014 Conditional anyway for Revis, but that's another conversation and its ultimately moot I think because there's no way they get that.

17. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

If they trade Revis it would have to be for the motherload. I mean at least three first round picks.

18. KerleyFries

KerleyFries Member

So let's say Revis gets traded and we get a couple decent picks for him. What now? Do we trust Kyle Wilson to replace Revis? I don't think so. So now we have to invest one of those picks in an early CB prospect to develop (just as Wilson has been developed), who we can be pretty sure will not be nearly as good as Revis. Plus, what do you think 95% of "fans" would do if the face of the franchise is traded away? Talk about problems filling the stadium. I just don't believe that it's going to happen.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Redskins don't even have draft picks. Redskins would be a great trade partner though

20. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I feel if you can get a 1st rounder and a combo of 2nd and 3rd then you do it. It will set this team up for a bright future, it will also free up 12 million or so that we wont have to pay to Revis which means more talent for the team.

We clearly dont need him, the D has survived without him imo.