Hightower, I like it

Discussion in 'Draft' started by gsulli5861, Apr 10, 2012.

1. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

Nawrocki's 'fit-based' mock draft. Posted April 10, 2012 @ 10:53 a.m. ET
    By Nolan Nawrocki
    Throw out popular convention and probabilities. The key to nailing the draft is understanding fits, properly identifying needs and understanding the depth of the talent pool via the draft, free agency and the trade market. In the latest mock draft, PFW concentrated on assigning prospects to teams based on three factors — one, the best schematic and divisionaly competitive fit; two, the strongest area of need; and three, the available talent pool in the draft.

1. Indianapolis Colts
    Robert Griffin III | QB | Baylor [ Jr. ]

Not only did Robert Griffin do more with less at Baylor, as the incoming quarterback of the Colts will have to do with one of the weakest supporting casts in football, but Griffin is a more intimidating playmaker than Andrew Luck with the big-play ability sought in Bruce Arians’ big-strike, vertical offense. Griffin entered the season low on the radar in the Heisman Trophy race and upset the anointed golden boy in college football. Luck remains the heavyweight favorite to be selected first overall, but Griffin is the better schematic fit.

2. Washington Redskins (from St. Louis)
    Andrew Luck | QB | Stanford [ Jr. ]

The key to Mike Shanahan’s offense is knowing when and where to go with the ball. Having operated a very similar pro-style offense at Stanford to the one the Redskins employ, Luck could hit the ground running and give the Redskins the missing piece that has kept the offense on the runway during the Shanahan era.

3. Minnesota Vikings
    Morris Claiborne | CB | LSU [ Jr. ]

Chris Cook found trouble multiple times in his first two NFL esasons, and though he is not expected to be disciplined by the league following his acquittal on assault charges and has returned to the team, his trustworthiness has come into question at a time when Brandon Marshall is entering a division that already includes Calvin Johnson and a deep assortment of Packers receivers. Antoine Winfield is 34, coming off a season-ending broken clavicle injury and his body has not been able to handle his aggressive style of play. OLT Charles Johnson gave up a career-worst nine sacks in 2011, but the talent pool is deeper at tackle than at cornerback, and Claiborne has the length and press cover skill highly desired in the NFC North.

4. Cleveland Browns
    Trent Richardson | RB | Alabama [ Jr. ]

Peyton Hillis left town, leaving the unproven Montario Hardesty as the Browns’ starter in a very physical, pound-the-rock division. The Browns finished second to last in the league in 2011 with a paltry 3.69-yard-per-rush average, as a non-threatening passing game allowed defenses to easily crowd the box. Trent Richardson proved he could produce against stacked boxes and will help the offense open up the passing game.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Matt Kalil | OT | USC [ Jr. ]

As OLT Donald Penn has beefed up, he has lost some quickness and gave up a career-worst nine sacks in 2011, according to STATS LLC. Josh Freeman’s front side has not been much better protected behind the serviceable Jeremy Trueblood, who is entering a contract year. GM Mark Dominik has invested heavily on protecting the inside of his pocket, and would benefit heavily from upgrading either edge. Kalil allows the Buccaneers to continue bolstering an offensive line that already saw the addition of Pro Bowl OG Carl Nicks.

6. St. Louis Rams (from Washington)
    Michael Floyd | WR | Notre Dame

Michael Floyd is bigger, stronger, faster and more explosive than Justin Blackmon and closed the gap between the two prospects by showing well at the Combine and his pro day and by showing more maturity and focus than Blackmon in the interview process. A two-time captain, Floyd alleviated concerns about his history of alcohol-related arrests by staying out of trouble as a senior. He can help upgrade one of the weakest crops of receivers in the league and has the run-after-the-catch strength to help snap Sam Bradford out of a sophomore funk.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars
    Fletcher Cox | DE-DT | Mississippi State [ Jr. ]

The Jaguars need to add more playmaking receiving talent to their offense to support the growth of Blaine Gabbert, but they can find it in the coming rounds. They won't find another impact pass rusher like Cox in the second round. The Jaguars were able to retain Jeremy Mincey after he sparked interest on the free-agent market, but Aaron Kampman is coming off a season-ending injury for the third consecutive year and Cox can step in immediately as a left defensive end, capable of kicking inside in nickel situations and disrupting.

8. Miami Dolphins
    Ryan Tannehill | QB | Texas A&M
    Physically, Tannehill has the skill set to become a bonafide quarterback, even if he showed he is still a long ways away as a senior. With Matt Moore coming on late last season, Tannehill could be afforded some time to develop. He already is familiar with the offense and personality of new coordinator Mike Sherman, which could ease the transition process to the NFL, and help fill the Dolphins' most pressing area of need.

9. Carolina Panthers
    Justin Blackmon | WR | Oklahoma State [ Jr. ]

Steve Smith carried the Panthers' downfield passing attack last season. For Cam Newton to take the next step in his development, he would benefit heavily from a strong, inside receiver capable of working underneath zones. Blackmon, who could slide given maturity concerns, can fill the void and bring a playmaking presence that needs to be honored opposite Smith.

10. Buffalo Bills
    Cordy Glenn | OLT | Georgia

Since GM Buddy Nix took control of the draft in 2010, the Bills have plucked both their first-round picks from the Southeast, where Nix was born, coached and scouted and has especially strong ties. OLT Demetress Bell signed with Philadelphia, leaving the Bills without a tackle possessing left tackle feet. Glenn showed continual improvement on the blind side as a senior and gives Nix enough reason to believe he can handle the task in the pros.

11. Kansas City Chiefs
    Dontari Poe | NT | Memphis [ Jr. ]

Though Poe’s production and effort outside the box leaves much to be desired, he will not be asked to play as many snaps in the pros as he did in college and has rare traits to be molded by a good coaching staff. He can anchor the middle of the Chiefs’ defense for a long time and has rare physical traits to be used creatively.

12. Seattle Seahawks
    Riley Reiff | ORT | Iowa [ Jr. ]

With James Carpenter kicking inside and Russell Okung struggling through injuries his first two seasons, the Seahawks could still use more help on the flanks and overall depth on the offensive line. Reiff could provide versatility to help at a number of positions and seamlessly plug into the Seahawks’ zone-slide protection scheme.

13. Arizona Cardinals
    David DeCastro | OG | Stanford [ Jr. ]

The Cardinals signed Adam Snyder in free agency and could plug him into the right guard position, but Snyder has proven to be a very versatile performer capable of playing either guard or tackle position and could easily move outside with the addition of a proven guard such as DeCastro, who fits the intense, workmanlike mold that OL coach Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt seek on their line.

14. Dallas Cowboys
    Melvin Ingram | OLB | South Carolina

Concerns about Ingram’s short arms could keep him out of the top 10, but he is as athletically gifted as any pass rusher in the draft and capable of becoming a disruptive mismatch piece for a creative defensive coordinator such as Rob Ryan. Ingram could be molded to take over for franchised OLB Anthony Spencer.

15. Philadelphia Eagles
    Mark Barron | SS | Alabama

The Eagles have invested in a second-round safety each of the last two years with Brian Dawkins and Quintin Mikell departing in free agency, but neither Nate Allen nor Jaiquawn Jarrett have been able to provide the same intensity or impact from the safety position as their predecessors. With safeties in short supply in this year’s draft, the Eagles can add more firepower to their secondary with a hammering enforcer like Barron.

16. New York Jets
    Dont'a Hightower | ILB-OLB | Alabama [ Jr. ]

Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas and Bart Scott are all on the wrong side of 30, putting a premium on youth at the LB position. The reason Hightower has a good chance to be drafted before his more touted teammate Courtney Upshaw is because of his unique versatility, football intelligence and strength of character. He can factor immediately inside or outside.

17. Cincinnati Bengals (from Oakland)

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Way too high at 16.

3. jlee499

jlee499 Member

Being an Alabama fan, no matter where we pick him is fine with me, so long as we pick him. He will prove his worth once we get him on the field. Not going to happen though, afraid the Jets do not have the good fortune to pick premium players in the draft...

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Can we have a detailed explanation of your expert anaylis??

5. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I guess we didn't pick Revis, Mangold & Harris.

6. jlee499

jlee499 Member

I was going to put in a disclaimer covering those picks, but instead thought I would rather read the posts. :drunk:

7. Don

Nothing to detail, pretty much everybody thinks he will still be there at the bottom of the first round. If true and that's who you want you trade down and gain a pick in the process. I pretty much would bet the Jets won't take him at 16.

8. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Ok!!

The closer to the draft, the more stupidity steps forward.

I've turned my back to some garbage lately.

I'm not going tolerate childish posts, there are other forums and sites for that stuff.

Anyone on this site has an issue with a poster can PM me.

9. jlee499

jlee499 Member

Excuse me, but are you calling me stupid?

10. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

And why would you wait to see? And ruin your opportunity to pick a great player? I'm all for it. I don't care about "reach theories"... You honestly are not taking a huge risk and losing on a ceiling only one I can understand would be floyd..Decastro other then that this is a PERFECT PICK

11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I always explain my POV, I wish you would elaborate.

Following "the herd" isn't always the right path.

If any of you guys have written a College paper, you know you have to support your POV.

I guess messageboards make the majority of the users lazy or unmotivated.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Nawrocki is an interesting off-take on draft talent levels. I've followed him since he succeeded Joel Buchsbaum at PFW and he's one of the few guys that make me look at the hi-light reels again when his opinion is different than the pack.

If you go look at his top 32 it's definitely somewhat different than the collective take at the main stream outlets. If you compare that 32 from year to year with the conventional 32 he's right more often than wrong.

13. Don

Again, there is nothing to explain that wasn't already obvious to anyone who has been following the draft. For whatever reason you want to choose I still don't believe the Jets will take Hightower at 16. I think Ingram, Barron, de Castro, Upshaw, Floyd and maybe a couple of others would all have to be off the board before they would take Hightower with that pick.

#13 Don, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

It isn't obvious.

NO ONE on this site follows the draft closer than myself.

You have a right to have an opinion, I want you to explain your POV on Hightower's lack of skill to be a mid Round 1 selection.

As I mentioned, "following the herd" doesn't support an opinion.

15. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

Next to Ingram, the most versaltile LB. He can play inside and outside. Was a nickel pass rusher. Would NOT be a reach at 16.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Disagree. He is a much better all around linebacker than Upshaw and we could have an awesome ILB duo with him and Harris. I would love to have him at 16. Apparently the view these days is that no LB is worth the 16 pick. Don't mind trading back, but we better get the player we really want and need.

17. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Floyd over Blackmon for sure

18. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

If this plays out then Kilpatrick and Jenkins fall to our spot. Hopefully we can turn that into a trade down, get more picks, and get Hightower a bit later.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This is the guy I want to envision as a Jet, can do it all he's versatile, can play ILB OLB, aggressive, plays angry, fundamental sounded player

Whats not to like?

20. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Nothing against Donta, but if Kuechly is on the board @ 16 (like in this draft) hes the ILB I want

I think he brings more to the table. True I dont see him being able to play outside like Hightower, but hes got some impressive coverage skills for an MLB.

Kuechly is without a doubt a true 3 down ILB, and that would be nice to have