PFT: Leon Washington market could heat up soon

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetfanmack, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/07/market-for-leon-washington-could-heat-up-soon/

Who knows how true this is, or if anyone will be willing to sign Leon. But it's always a possibility. Some are on board letting him go, others aren't. For a high 2nd, to me, it's a no brainer, let him walk. For a late 2nd, I'd examine the contract a lot more closely. However, if Leon signs a contract elsewhere, it's likely for something he couldn't get as a Jet.

2. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I dont mind letting letting Leon go as long as we draft a suitable replcement very high in the draft someone like Jahvid Best would be a nice replacement

3. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

He's been a great weapon for the Jets, but if another team is giving up a second rounder for him, they have to let him go. Leon's simply not going to be apart of the future of this team, and they can use that pick to help build up the young talent on the roster.

4. illmatic

illmatic New Member

unlike the other moves I've seen so far this doesn't seem like a savings based move (read Woody is looking cheap) but a move that makes sense, since you don't know which Leon your going to get...worse case he gets a reasonable contract that the jets can resign him with...or they agree to a trade for a 3rd rd pick & a future 2nd day (2nd or 3rd round day 2 format) pick...

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I agree with both Quik and GH. If we can get a second rounder for him, then I'd be okay with it.

6. ........

........ Trolls

Like I said before, if someone scoops up Leon, I'd love to go Tate, Gerhart, Alualu with those three picks in the first two rounds.

7. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

A second round pick for Leon would be awesome...we might be able to move up a few spots in the first and still have a 2nd round pick

8. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

I'm surprised how willing you guys are to let Leon walk.

To me it comes down to health. If he is going to recover completely, he's worth way more than a 2. If not, then a 2 is nice compensation, whether it's high or low in the round. Of course we don't know whether he'll fully recover.

If he goes though, we're very thin at RB at KR.

1500th post...let's party!

9. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

So last year we're the #1 rushing offense in the league and now we're looking at losing 2/3 of our RB's, not to mention our Probowl caliber return man, to FA?
    I know his health is a question mark but i'm not sure i'd be happy with this.

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

You don't know what Leon you're gonna get,if you get the dynamic playmaker that's great but then we saw what kind of contract he was demanding a year ago. With the players that need new deals Leon may have been let go anyway with no compensation. On the flipside, he may have lost a step and then getting a 2nd is great value.

Also, isn't Cro a pretty good kick returner (he returned a missed field goal 109 yards for a TD in 07)?

11. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

To me, the biggest reason why to let Leon walk if he signs is this...

The Jets couldn't sign him! If he signs a deal elsewhere, chances are it's for more than the Jets were willing to pay him. So they'd probably just take the 2nd round pick as more than fair compensation.

12. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

This

(filler)

13. GG2000

GG2000 Member

The second-round tender is a gamble for sure but man, that was one horrific looking leg injury that Leon suffered. I'm sure that he is working his tail off to get back to "pre-injury Leon" and that the Jets medical staff is monitoring his progress closely, but I wonder if he'll ever return to 100% after that kind of injury. In that sense, I guess the risk averse part of me would be ok with hedging our bets and taking a second-rounder if the opportunity presented itself.

14. ........

........ Trolls

If we lose Leon, I guarantee we'll be drafting a RB early. Our first pick would be Matthews if available. If not, likely Tate and a RB in the 2nd. There is some solid value there.

15. ........

........ Trolls

I don't think anyone would rather have a 2nd rounder than a healthy Leon. The FO is just hedging its bets. In this draft, we can go a long way to replacing his productivity.

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'd prefer Leon to stay on the team. He's our most explosive offensive player.

17. thatisjetsfootball

thatisjetsfootball Active Member

I don't see any team giving up a 2nd rounder for a former 4th that has had many injury problems throughout his career! I'd love to keep Leon for his big play ability and KR skills. Wouldn't mind letting him go for a high 2nd but don't see it happen!

18. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

if someone is willing to throw up a 2nd for leon i think the jets have to seriously consider letting him walk and draft a RB

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not only would they have to give up a 2nd, they would also have to offer him an overpaid contract that the Jets would not want to match. That is the gamble the Jets are taking here, and I think it's a smart one. How many teams are willing to overpay a non-starter scatback coming off a double compound fracture of the leg - and also give up a 2nd round pick in a draft as deep as this one?

The more I think about this, the more I think Leon is a lock as a Jet for 2010.

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

FYP.

This is a different team now. Leon Washington was a great kick returner and a very good change of pace back.

We're a power team now. Washington doesn't fit in to what we're trying to do here. He'd be the third option if we picked up another back.

A second rounder for a kick returner that's coming off of a serious leg injury is a steal.